Stubborn and Frugal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn and Frugal

The 80's rocked. Metallica. AC/DC. Guns N' Roses. And of course... Donrusspuzzle inserts.

If you're reading this blog, then I'm sure you're familiar with the latter, but just in case you were a child of the 90's or 2000's and you're sitting down scratching your head... I'll try to fill you in one of our hobby's greatest secrets (sorry... sometimes I like to be dramatic).

Back in the 80's... all of the big name card companies utilized a gimmick to get kids to buy their trading cards. Topps promoted cavities with their gum. Fleer helped kids decorate Pee Cheefolders and bedroom doors with their team stickers. And Donruss challenged the minds of our hobby's youth by having them collect and build puzzles.

From 1982 to 1992, every pack of Donruss or Leafbaseball cards included three puzzle pieces out of a sixty-three piece puzzle. Collect them all and you'd reveal one of Dick Perez'samazing works of art.

I'm pretty sure that the first puzzle I ever completed was the Roberto Clementepuzzle from 1987. That was the year I dove head first into investing my money into baseball cards, which meant I actually bought enough packs to actually finish the puzzle.

Before then... I'd have a handful of puzzle pieces scattered throughout my collection and to be honest, I don't remember them being high on my priority list back then. Rookie cards were king and puzzle pieces were most likely the last thing on my mind.

Fast forward a couple of decades when I reentered the hobby and decided to collect and build all sixteen puzzles produced by Donruss/Leaf back in the day. It's taken me four years and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Recently, I picked up the two Rod Carew puzzles issued in 1992:

That leaves me just three puzzle pieces short of the entire sixteen puzzle collection. Which three pieces do I need? I'm looking for card #3 from the 1983 Action All-Stars Mickey Mantlepuzzle, which consists of pieces 7, 8, and 9.

There's a vender on COMC that has one:

But... I'm too stubborn and cheap to pay the 95¢ the seller is asking. I tried to make an offer, but that only brought it down to 88¢. Considering that complete Mantle puzzles sell in the $6 to $7range... I just can't get myself to pull the trigger.

What are your thoughts?

Anyone else as stubborn and frugal as I am? Or do you think I'm insane for letting a buck stand between me and a finished project?

As usual... everyone has the right to their own opinion and I promise not to be offended if you disagree. Heck let's make it a game. If the majority think I'm crazy... I'll man up and spend my hard earned pennies on these final puzzle pieces. But if the majority has my back... I'm sticking to my guns and will wait another four years if I have to.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X