Mr. Baseball Can Wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Baseball Can Wait

I originally had a Bob Uecker post planned for today... but that will have to wait, because there was no way I'd miss addressing yesterday's milestone event.

2013 Five Star Autographs #MMA

No... I'm not talking about Manny Machado and his insane three home runs, which made him just the 2nd player in MLB history to hit home runs in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings of a single game. That was obviously impressive.

2004 SI for Kids #360

Michael Phelps' 19th career Olympic gold medal was equally... if not more impressive than Machado'sfeat. But this post isn't about him either.

1994 Fleer Pro Cards #1063

This post isn't about Alex Rodriguezannouncing his retirement either. Although I've got to admit... after watching his press conference, I had serious mixed emotions. I can't say I've ever considered myself a fan, but I recognize his accomplishments and his retirement is just another reminder that I'm getting old. However... like I said... this post isn't about him.

2001 Fleer Tradition #452
    2001 Topps Gallery #151 (Japanese)

For this card collector... Ichiro Suzuki's3000th hit yesterday trumps any of this weekend's sports highlights. Ever since he entered the league back in 2001, he's been one of my favorite players.

1993 Tomy ID #102

He's the greatest MLB player to come out of Japan and hands down the centerpiece of my Japanese athlete collection.

2004 Topps All-Stars #TAS2
    2002 Fleer Ultra #51

I've always been a fan of contact hitters since I was a little kid and Ichiro has to be considered one of the greatest.

Plus he's entertained fans with his insane catches and ridiculous throws from right field over the years. And let's not forget that he has one of the coolest and unique pre-batting stances in the league.

1991 Leaf Gold Leaf Rookies Bonus #BC25
    1991 Leaf Gold Leaf Rookies Bonus #BC26

Congratulations Ichiro, Machado, Phelps, and A-Rod! You guys seriously put yesterday into the history books. I can't remember being so excited about watching highlight reels over and over since Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock'sstolen base record and Nolan Ryan threw his 7th career no-hitter on May 1st, 1991.

What about you...

Anyone have a specific date that stands out in sports history for them?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Yes, I have a specific date in sports that stands out for me. It's August 11,1991. I saw Wilson Alvarez of the White Sox NO-HIT the "Birds" in Municipal Stadium in Baltimore. What really makes it stand out for me is that it was the FIRST MLB game my daughters (13,11,& 9) had ever been too. How many baseball fans/spectators see a NO HITTER at the first MLB game that they go too? In the beginning of the 1992 season, during spring break from school, we took them to their 2nd MLB game. This time it was at the new stadium in Baltimore, Oriole Par at Camden Yards. April 20,1992, at their 2nd MLB game they saw three consecutive HOME RUNS hit by Tigers Trammell, C Fielder, and Tettleton(a former "O"). Both of those things aren't usually seen, but they saw both in the first two MLB games they went too.

NOTE: The "Birds" came back and won the 4/20/92 game.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
    X