Hobby Resolutions: Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Resolutions: Past and Present

In life, it's important for people to set boundaries and create guidelines to help us stay focus and motivated. Last year, I came up with five resolutions in regards to our hobby to keep me in line. Let's see how I fared:

#1: Create a Monthly Hobby Budget and Adhere to It

Although I'm very good about living within my means and not buying things I can't afford, I never actually stuck to a monthly hobby budget. Or if I did... I didn't do it for long. On the other hand, I did open a special savings account for recreational spending, which includes things like vacations, holiday shopping, and hobby expenses.

Final Grade: C-

#2: Purchase Five 1956 Topps Hall of Famers

I'll actually discuss this resolution a little more in Tuesday'spost, but for now I'll just tell you that I didn't come close to reaching this goal.

Grade: D-

#3: Resurrect my Annual Summer Contest

Epic fail. I don't even think this entered my mind last summer, which is a shame. This contest was always a lot of fun. A lot of work too. But bottom line... a lot of fun. Maybe in 2017? We'll see.

Grade: F

#4: Pick Up One of These Topps Sets: 1973, 1974, or 1977

Finally... I succeeded with flying colors. I picked up the 1977 Toppsset for a project I'm currently working on at a card show for $80. The 1973 and 1974Toppsbaseball cards are the only two sets I need to complete my birth year through 1986 Toppsset run.

Grade: A+

#5: Have Fun, Continue Blogging, and Read More Blogs

The total number of posts I published declined for the fourth consecutive year and actually hit an all-time low. Plus there were a few long periods where I was so busy, I didn't have time to read your posts either. However... I was able to add a few new blogs to my reading list... and in terms of collecting, I did have a lot of fun.

Grade: B-

Normally I'd be very disappointed with a D+average, but overall... I feel I did okay on my 2016resolutions. Could I have improved? Of course. But at the end of the day, I walked out of 2016 a pretty happy camper in terms of blogging and collecting.

As for my 2017resolutions, I think I'm going to hold off on making any new ones. My major goals for this upcoming year are to...

#1: Maintain an average of 3 posts per week.

#2: Continue reading your blog posts.
    #3: Pick up at least one 1956 Topps HOFer.
    #4: Continue to live within my means.
    #5: Have fun.

What about you?

Did you create any 2017 hobby resolutions for yourself?

I hope all of you enjoyed a safeNew Year's Evelast night. Happy New Years and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X