Black Beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Beauty

Back in November, I listed out some of my favorite black bordered sets in honor of Black Friday. I had a good time flipping through my binders looking for cards to use in the post. I covered everything from 1971 Toppsbaseball to 1989 Kenner SLUfootball, but there were two sets I left out of the post: 1962 Toppsfootball and 1991 Topps Toys R' Us Rookies.

In January I added a 1962 Topps Bart Starrcard to my collection... and on Saturday I opened up a package from Tom over at The Angels, In Order and saw this:

Damn... that's a mighty fine looking card. From 1987 to 1991, Topps produced 33 card small boxed sets for Toys R' Us.

Each year, Topps would switch up the color of the borders and card back designs, but they would always use the same simple, yet attractive set design. The 1987 and 1991sets both used the black borders, but if you look at the Frank Thomascard you'll notice the word "Rookies" is printed with white text in a blue background. The 1987set substitutes blue for pink.

I'm such a big fan... that my goal is to eventually collect all 165cards and display them in a binder. So far, I have the 1988, 1989, and 1990sets... but I still need the bookends.

Well... that's it for today. I hope all of you have a great week.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X