PC Addition - Sports Card Bust #20: Shelden Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Addition - Sports Card Bust #20: Shelden Williams

Well it's been a few weeks since my last Sports Card Bust post... and since then one of my "busts" has been signed by a new team via free agency. The Denver Nuggets recently signed Shelden Williams to a one year contract to help back up Kenyon Martin and Chris Anderson, who are both coming back from knee surgeries.

Williams was drafted 5th overall in the
    2006 NBA draft by the Atlanta Hawks, ahead of Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay. Since then, he's also played for the Kings, Timberwolves, and the Celtics. It's debatable, but it looks like his best season was his rookie year when he averaged just under 19 minutes per game, 5.5 ppg, and 5.4 rpg.

Some may argue that it's too early to call him a bust, but in my mind he was the 5th pick overall and he hasn't produced very much. Maybe, he'll turn his career around playing under Coach Karl. If not... I'd call him a Sports Card Bust.

Then again... at least this guy is still playing in the NBA. Shawne Williams who was drafted by the Indiana Pacers with the 17th pick in the same draft was recently charged with driving under a suspended license.

Which brings the question... which is the bigger bust? On one hand, Shawne is out of the NBA and Shelden is still playing. But on the flip side, Shawne wasn't a top 5 draft choice and Shelden was. It's these kind of questions that made C+C Music Factory create songs like, "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm".

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Yep in back to back drafts the Hawks drafted position players they didnt need at the time (Marvin and Shelden Williams) when they already had both Josh Smith and Al Harrington. In 2005 they should have drafted Chris Paul or Deron Williams. In 2006 they should have drafted Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, or even Randy Foye. Shelden was good in college, but he did get drafted way too high. Shawne Williams had a few chances but never made anything of it.

Comment

Yeah Shelden is a huge disappointment,probably the only NBA player the can legitamitly be beaten in a 1 vs 1 game against his wife.
      "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Comment

wow! that hurts.

Comment

Working...
          X