• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCC - Cheap Cool Cards #1: 1996 SPx Hardaway Tribute

Card: 1996 SPx #T1 Anfernee Hardaway Tribute
    Beckett Value: $3
    COMC Price: $1.20

This was the last box of cards I purchased before I quit collecting in 1996, which is a shame because I missed out on investing on one of the best draft classes in the history of the NBA. I remember buying this box in hopes of pulling either a Michael Jordan Record Breaker card (1:75 packs), a Jordan Holoview Heroes card (1:24 packs, so the odds of pulling the Jordan was actually 1:240 packs), or the Hardaway Tribute card (1:96 packs). As luck would have it, I pulled none of these. Instead I pulled a Joe Smith Holoview Heroes, which (if I recall correctly) I traded back to the shop for a few more packs of cards.

Honestly, I had forgotten about this tribute card until I stumbled across it in somebody's bucket on SCF. I immediately knew I wanted it, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it booked for only $3. I eventually made a trade with the guy and he threw this card in for free.

The die-cut card offers an amazing design with the left side featuring a picture of Penny. On the right side of the card is a dual hologram. The lower half is a close up shot (looks like a close up of Hardaway about to take a free throw). The rest of the hologram is an action shot of Penny driving to the basket. On the back is a brief writeup about how he has become a young force in the NBA.

I'm not sure why, but I'm still amazed at how much cards have dropped in value over the years. I guess as collectors we can look at it from a positive or negative point of view. On one hand, we can reminisce how much money we spent on pieces of cardboard that are now worth only a fraction of what we paid. Or we can look at it as an opportunity to pick up cool cards at cheap prices. I'm not sure about you, but I have enough problems in my life... I don't need anymore negativity. In my mind, this is a chance of a lifetime.

Which leads me to today's question of the day... What is a cheap (let's say $10 or less), cool card that you own or want to own?

Since I'm not closing the Sports Card Bust PC question of the day quite yet... I don't have an updated points total for today. I'll probably close both questions at the same time... later on this evening (around 10pm PST).

Today's the last day to promote the contest on your blog for 5 bonus points.

Thank you to everyone who has been participating in this contest... This is a huge success and I love reading everyone's responses.

Have a good day,

Fuji

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Penny was one of the first players I collected in the mid 90s. Once he got traded to Phoenix, injuries piled up and his career was never the same. Those SPx holo cards are really nice.

Comment

Nice! Spx has been one of my favorite Upper Deck brands. It was cool when it was about diecuts and holograms back then. Kinda sucks that it was turned into a cheap hit per pack product in its final years.
      "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Working...
      X