The Hobby Tale of an April Fool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobby Tale of an April Fool...

This blog documents a lot of my positive hobby experiences... such asmy favorite cards, awesome fellow bloggers, collecting stories from the 80's & 90's, sweet PC additions, and of course successful blog trades.

However... today's post won't be focusing on any of those things. Since today is April Fools' Day... I figured I talk about some hobby experiences that have left me feeling like a fool.

First up... this wonderful autographed photo of Vince Carter.

Okay... maybe I chose the wrong adjective. This is far from wonderful. It's auto-penned... in other words... a machine signed this photo. If you're wondering how I know... it's because I received three of these photos when I signed up to be in his fan club. All three autographs are exactly the same... and have the same squiggles in the same spots.

I love the fact that on the fan club letter, it states that I'll be receiving a photo with Vince's Official Signature. Too bad he didn't actually sign it. I was such a fool for ordering three memberships for $25 a piece. Back in the day (early 2000's), Vinsanity was taking the NBA by storm and I thought I was getting the deal of the century. I should have listened to my father when he said... If it's too good to be true... it probably is.

Oh one more thing about the Carter autographs before I move on to my next story... this photo is the nicest of my three. The other two have smeared ink marks on the photo from being stacked without adequate drying time. But it gets better... I promise.

The next story is by far the one I'm most embarrassed to admit. During the early 90's... before Sports Card Forum, Card Collector's World, or any of the other trading forums... there were the AOL message boards. It was definitely during the peak of my collecting days and I was making at least 10 trades a week.

One of the trades I made included this beauty:

Yep... you guessed it. It's a fake Hank Aaron autograph. I read that he signed all of these autographs in blue ink and that the hologram on the back is not in the shape of a home plate. Others have told me that the autograph itself is laughable... which makes me feel like even a bigger fool.

Worst part about it... is that I'm sure I gave up at least a couple of hundred dollars in inserts. I sure hope karma comes around and bites that guy in the butt.

My last tale is the least expensive of the three... but it's the most recent. Actually... I'm not 100% sure that I've been ripped off... so maybe someone out there can help me find out.

About five weeks ago, I picked up 1934 Park Drive Tobacco card of Douglas Fairbanks. Why would I buy this? Well... I've never owned a tobacco card... I remember seeing Mr. Fairbanks in Robin Hood when I was younger... and it cost me only $1.15 (+ $1.35 shipping).

$2.50 for a card that's over 75 years old. When the card arrived... it was in beautiful condition. In fact that's what freaked me out. Once again... it soaked it... If it's too good to be true... it probably is.

My question is... have I been fooled again? Are there any non-sport card collectors out there who know anything about this set? Have they been reprinted?

The Ebay seller assured me that this is an original card that happens to be in amazing condition. But down inside... I feel like I'm an April Fool.

So today is your chance to celebrate... and share you greatest "I've been fooled" story.

C'mon don't be embarrassed... chances are you didn't trade hundreds of dollars of inserts for a $1 card with a fake signature on it.

TGIF... Hopefully I'll find a few hidden treasures at the flea market tomorrow... then Sunday I'm off to watch Ichiro take on my beloved Oakland A's.

Have a great weekend everyone. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Thanks for the entertaining blog.
    I enjoy reading your stuff.

How about this?

I gave away a 97'98 Ultra platinum medallion of Karl Malone to a friend.
    Why?
    Cos I thought it was a damaged gold medallion lol

Comment

How about this one? This has haunted me for the past 15 years. LOL!

I went to a card show when 96-97 Topps Chrome first came out. The Kobe Chrome RC back then was first priced in the Beckett for I think either $12 or $15. I could have bought 1 for $12 or 3 for $30. The guy at the table had like 20 of them. I looked at Topps Chrome as a parallel to the regular Topps cards. Just like Topps Gold cards that were released in 92-93 and 93-94. So I passed on it. HUGE mistake!!! My best friend still gives me crap for this to this very day. I should have at least bought 1 of them.

Comment

Working...
      X