Cheap Cool Cards #20: 1992-93 UD Bird/Magic Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cool Cards #20: 1992-93 UD Bird/Magic Retire

Damn... I feel old. Has it really been twenty years since Magic Johnson made his public announcement that he'd be retiring from the NBA? It seems like yesterday... okay, maybe not yesterday. But it definitely doesn't feel like twenty years have passed.

All I can say is that Magic and the Showtime Lakers were a huge reason I loved basketball during my youth... and I remember how bummed I was to hear that he had contracted the HIV virus.

A year later... Magic's biggest rival, Larry Bird, also announced his retirement. The two of them are often credited with reviving the sport and having one of the biggest player rivalries in NBA history.

Upper Deck produced a special commemorative card for their 1992-93 basketball product that honored these two basketball legends:

According to Beckett, the card is worth between $1.25 and $3. It was inserted into series one packs at a rate of 1:72 packs (or 1:2 boxes). Realistically, the card itself is essentially worthless and can probably be found in dime bins if you look hard enough. I picked up mine on COMC's a while back for $.25.

But do yourself a favor and take two seconds to look over this card. I mean... isn't it awesome? It celebrates the retirement of two Hall of Famers, who are often considered to be the greatest of their generation. I don't know about you... but I think it's one helluva Cheap Cool Card.

Alright... it's time to draw the line and take a stand.

What are you... a Magic Man or a Bird Backer?

If you're a regular reader of this blog, then you know that I didn't have to blink to come up with my choice... I grew up supporting Magic and his trademark smile. Congratulations Earvin... Here's to twenty more years!

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone... only two more days until the much needed... three day weekend. Sayonara!

NaBlo WriMo Daily Total: 316 Words
    November Total: 2,289 Words

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Bird Backer obviously...

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
    X