Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beatles were wrong... money CAN buy me LOVE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beatles were wrong... money CAN buy me LOVE.

A few years ago, I stopped buying cards in hopes of turning a profit. The fact is... I'll never recover half of the money I've spent on cardboard since I was a kid. Which is why I try my best not to think about "making money" when I buy cards.

But... that doesn't mean I don't get excited about a bargain every now and then.

Here's a 2008-09 Topps T51 Murad printing plate I picked up off of eBay two summers ago for $12.50 (+ $2.75 shipping):

They say sometimes an image can jog your memory... which is exactly what happened when I saw this highlight from last night's Clippers-Timberwolves game:

I totally forgot that I purchased that card, after watching that highlight, I started to wonder if I owned any nice cards of Kevin Love. Then I remembered I purchased this graded printing plate.

Later, I looked up his stats and was shocked to see the year he's put together so far:

Points Per Game: 24.7 (5th in NBA)
    Rebounds Per Game: 14.5 (2nd in NBA)
    Minutes Per Game: 39.6 (1st in NBA)
    Double-Doubles: 15 (1st in NBA)
    Total Efficiency Points: 416 (3rd in NBA)
    Efficiency Ranking: 27.73 (2nd in NBA)

Hopefully, he'll continue to produce and have a solid career. Then I'll be able to turnaround, sell this card, and possibly retire a few years earlier. Just kidding!

Now it's time for your feedback. Obviously, I haven't been keeping up with the NBA this season, so I'm interested in hearing your take on Mr. Love.

As a player, is he a minor star, semi star, star, or super star?

Legit or one year wonder?

Overrated or underrated?

Okay... I'm starving. Time to grab some dinner. Happy Saturday everyone. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Wow that was a steal for a Rookie Printing Plate and graded!

Comment

yep, love is having a great year! Nice pick up on the 1 of 1...and graded so high!! I dont think its anything to quit your day job for , but im sure you could get a nice return on that!

Nice work!
      Currently looking for:
      Football: The Gronk!
      Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
      Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
      + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
      Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
      http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Yeah... the grading alone counts for half of the price. Although had I been the guy who pulled this plate, I never would have spent the money to have it graded.
        Originally posted by key2win View Post
        Wow that was a steal for a Rookie Printing Plate and graded!

Lol... yeah, I'm not quite ready to retire from teaching. And even if one day, I do flip it for a small profit, it'll never make a dent into my "losses"
        Originally posted by azdbacks1998 View Post
        yep, love is having a great year! Nice pick up on the 1 of 1...and graded so high!! I dont think its anything to quit your day job for , but im sure you could get a nice return on that!

Nice work!
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X