Birthday Box Break: 1992 Skybox Team USA Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday Box Break: 1992 Skybox Team USA Basketball

Today, we're celebrating our country's 236th birthday, so let's bust the box of 1992 Skybox Team USA Basketball I purchased at the card show a couple of weekends ago.

The Box: Thirty-six packs in a box.

Each pack contains 8 cards, which means I should get 288 cards in the box.

The Base Set: The base set contains 110 cards. Each of the first ten players selected to the team (Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, and John Stockton) are featured on 9 different base cards, while the four coaches (P.J. Carlesimo, Chuck Daly, Mike Krzyzewski, and Lenny Wilkens) each have two cards in the set.

There are also two checklist cards (#99 and #100) and the final 10 cards are part of a subset called "Magic On", where Magic Johnson comments on his teammates.

I'm a huge fan of the overall card design which features full bleed photos with a USA Basketball logo on the front of each card. The photos range from action to portrait shots and there players are pictured in their regular and all-star team jerseys.

Card backs include a variety of information: career statistics, playoff statistics, all-star game statistics, as well as rookie year and best game summaries.

Overall, this is a pretty cool set if you're a basketball fan. The only downside is that Skybox neglected to use photos of the players in their USA jerseys on the front of the cards.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for cards of Clyde Drexler or Christian Laettner then you're out of luck.

The Inserts: Inserts may have been around for decades, but the insert revolution started in the early 90's. So it's no surprise that Skybox included a few chase cards to this product.

First, there's the #NNO Plastic Team Card that's similar to a credit card and features a photo of the first ten players, along with a brief writeup of The Dream Team on the back.

Skybox also randomly inserted autographs of David Robinson and Magic Johnson. According to Beckett, these autographs aren't certified... which I assume means that Skybox had the two sign cards without any COA, stickers, or stamps to distinguish them from regular base cards.

The Results: I didn't pull the plastic team card or either of the autographed cards, but the box produced two complete sets and 68 cards towards a third set.

So kudos to Skybox for their excellent product collation.

Happy 4th of July and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X