A Childhood Favorite Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Childhood Favorite Returns

When I was younger, I loved eating canned peaches. I loved watching Star Wars. And I loved basketball.

I still eat canned peaches and enjoy watching Star Wars... but basketball is no longer something I enjoy. But today I read on ESPN that my childhood favorite player was in negotiations for the head coaching position with his former team and my former favorite team: The Los Angeles Lakers.

Back in the 80's, Byron was a lights out shooter. As a kid, I practiced his baseline jumper on a regular basis and eventually got pretty good at it.

A few years later, I started collecting basketball cards and quickly started targeting Byron's cards. One of my first big purchases was a copy of his 1986-87 Fleerrookie card.

In 1993, the Lakers released him after he spent ten seasons and won three titles with them. That didn't keep me from collecting his cards.

Three years later, he rejoined the Lakers after spending some time in Indiana and Vancouver. That year he wrapped up his career mentoring a kid named Kobe.

He eventually came back to the NBA as an assistant coach and eventually spent over a decade as a head coach for the New Jersey Nets, New Orleans Hornets, and Cleveland Cavaliers.

After the Cavaliers struggled for three straight seasons, Scott was fired towards the end of the 2012/13 season.

But life is filled with second chances. And even though I won't be watching or following professional basketball anytime soon... I was happy to hear that my favorite player from back in the day is getting a second chance as a Los Angeles Laker.

Good luck Byron! Happy Friday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X