Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rekindling an Old Flame

Let's take a walk down memory lane...

Sometime around the mid80's, I fell in love with basketball. It all started with the Boston Celtics and Los Angelesrivalry. My father pulled for Larry Bird and the Celtics, while I cheered on the Showtime Lakers.

Byron Scott was my favorite player and the guy I tried to emulate on the court. I can't even begin to fathom how many hours I spent shooting baseline jumpers from outside the three point line.

Did I choose the Lakers because they were good? Sadly... yes. I've never been proud of that. But I stuck with them when they started losing in the early to mid90's.

It took a couple years to find a new favorite player after the LakersreleasedScott, but Eddie Jones eventually ascended and claimed the throne. I was hoping he'd be a Laker for life, but that wasn't to be. In 1999, he was traded to the Charlotte Hornets.

Finding a new favorite player wasn't difficult, since that's about the same time when Kobe was beginning to blossom into one of the best players in the league.

Throughout most of the 2000's, I continued my Lakerfandom. But then it hit me like an elbow from The Worm to the nose. The game of basketball started changing. Dream teams were being built. The Lakerstraded forGasol. Bostontraded forAllen and Garnett. LeBron and Boshsigned withMiami.

My solution? Start cheering for the underdogs. I started to root more openly for the Golden State Warriors, who were my 2ndfavorite team.

They're local, their tickets were always pretty affordable, and with guys like Monta Ellis and Steph Curry, they were fun to watch and collect.

But as luck would have it... they started winning too, which was the straw that broke the camel's back. I decided to focus on everything and anything outside of basketball. Honestly the decision was a lot easier than anticipated. And for the most part, I didn't regret my decision.

Well... until recently.

After watching some amazing college basketball, I have decided to start collecting basketball cards again. My focus will be on my favorite teams... the Golden State Warriors, the Boston Celtics, the San Antonio Spurs, and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

I haven't figured out who my favorite, favorite team is, but I'll let you know after I see who wins the NBA Title.

Happy April Fool's Day and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Wait a gosh darn minute. Did you say you are going to be collecting the Boston Celtics? Are you serious? Well, that might be bad for what you send me, but I am sure to have some stuff to send you. I need to know for sure. Are you really collecting the Celtics now?

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
    X