Am I crazy, stubborn, or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy, stubborn, or both?

I recently picked up several cheap, yet incomplete (except one) 2010 Panini football sets off of a guy on YouTube who needed some extra cash. He needed some extra funds and I figured I'd grab some newer football singles for my students.

One of the sets...
    2010 Playoff Contenders had about 10% of the set missing, but at least it included the two base rookie cards of Danny Woodhead and Anthony Armstrong. There's way too many singles for me to chase... so I'll definitely be handing these cards out this summer to the kids (except for those two rookie cards).

I also received a complete set of
    2010 Panini Threads football (no RC's), which by the way will be the 6th prize added to my prize list.

And finally... he included two more sets that each fell one card short of completion. I'm not usually a fan of Panini's designs, but to my surprise... I actually plan on keeping one of the sets. The other one I can definitely do without.

I'll show you both designs and see if you can guess which one I liked and which one I think falls into the category of "90% of all Panini products look like that".

The first card I need is card #15 from the
    2010 Rookies & Stars set, which is a Lee Evans base card. And the other card is the Vince Young base card (card #146) from the 2010 Gridiron Gear set. Neither is short printed and since they're both from readily available sets... I figured it shouldn't cost too much for me to pick up these two commons to complete my two sets.

Umm... I guess I was wrong.

I found a guy on
    COMC who happened to be selling both of the cards I need to complete my set. His original asking price is $.50 for each card... which when combined is less than the price of a bottle of soda at my work.

However... I just couldn't pull the trigger to pay that price for two commons. So, I offered the guy $.50 for the pair ($.25 each).

He later countered my offer with both cards for $.70.

A nice 30% discount off of his asking price (& only $.20 more than what I originally offered)... but... I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bite the bullet and pay his reduced asking price either.

I know it's only 35 cents per card... but they're base cards of Lee Evans and Vince Young.

I know that if I give this guy 70 cents (+ shipping), then I'll be able to wipe off two more sets from my wantlist.

But... after weighing the options and going back and forth... I decided to reject his offer. I'd rather wait and see if I can trade for the two cards I need (
    anyone out there have these two cards?)... or possibly buy it from another seller in the future. It goes against everything I stand for (being a cheapskate) to pay somebody $.70 for two commons from overproduced 2010 Panini products.

Which brings me to my questions...

Am I crazy? Stubborn? Both?

I have to admit... after writing this post... and looking from the outside "in"... I definitely sound crazy. However... I'm not backing down. There's no way I'm paying more than $.50 for the pair.

Oh well... at least I have something to search for in commons bins at next year's TriStar show.

By the way...

Can you figure out which Panini design I actually liked? Rookies & Stars or Gridiron Gear?

If you leave a comment (relating to either me being as stubborn as a mule... and/or by guessing which 2010 Panini football set I actually like) I'll award you one point in the contest. However... if you guess the set correctly, I'll give you two points for participating.

FYI: You may join my contest at any point... however there are expiration dates for individual posts (for example, comments left on the June 10th post will no longer receive points).

And just a reminder CCW members... if you're planning on participating... you must leave your responses on the actual blog post... and now in the forums.

Oh... and if you're interested in seeing the most current standings...
    click here.

Happy Sunday everyone... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

I'd say that you're a little of both. But then again, I can't do it either. So I must be stubborn & crazy, too. The thing that always hangs me up is, after I commit to paying $.50 for the card I still have to add shipping ($2.00 in some cases) and it turns me right off to making the buy.

Gridiron Gear is the one that's not like most other Panini stuff from the last couple of years. I'm betting that it's the one you chose, too.

Thanks
    - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Working...
    X