• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Finds #36: An Insane Abundance of Randomness

When: Sunday, August 21st
    Where: Capitol Flea Market
    What: Way Too Much To List
    How Much?: $43

I apologize in advance for this long post, but that's what happens when you spend three hours walking around a flea market loaded with interesting items. It's pretty rare that I take a trip to my car to drop things off. Last Sunday, I made two trips.

So without further adieu, here's a look at my finds...

Purchase #1: Sports Cards$20

I stumbled across a guy who has been slowly dumping his collection over the past few years and now he's finally down to the leftovers. I spent an hour sifting through his binders and the singles he scattered across his six foot tables.

To make things a little easier to understand, I'll break the purchase down into three parts...

Part A: Singles$5

He had hundreds of singles in Card Savers and top loaders. He was looking to get $1/card, but after hanging out and socializing, he hooked me up with these seven cards for $5. These cards are in really good condition for being thrown out on a table with the exception of the Brodie (slight crease) and the Brown (rounded corners).

Part B: Pages$5

The guy also had six or seven binders full of cards. He wanted $30/binder or $2/page. I pretty much focused on the pages with vintage cards and in the end, he told me I could have five pages for five dollars.

Part C: More Singles$10

Within the scattered singles, certain cards were singled out with recent eBay prices. I ended up grabbing these three vintage football hall of famers, plus a 1988 Oakland Raiders oddball set with this cool first year Bo Jackson. According to his searches, the three cards and the set were in the $30 range (it's actually much lower). He asked me if $10 was fair and I accepted.

In the end, I spent $20... but was able to add a ton of stars to my vintage binder. Plus it was cool to hang out with another collector and reminisce on our cardboard memories.

Purchase #2: Kenner Starting Lineups$8

1993 Mark Messier (Canadian)

1996 Rod Carew (Anaheim Convention)

1997 Terrell Davis

Have I told you about my addiction to Kenner Starting Lineups? It truly is a sickness.

Purchase #3: Holograms & Commemorative Tickets$5

Do you remember these? Each hologram came with a ticket and if I remember correctly, the card shop I worked at during the early 90's sold them for $10 to $20 each.

I've actually see these pop up every now and then at card shows and during my flea market runs, but people usually want way too much.

Purchase #4: Mr. T Bobble Head and a Shaun Alexander McFarlane $3

I have absolutely no use for a Mr. T bobble head, but the Alexander figure will look awesome next to my autographed mini helmet. The guy was asking for $4 for the pair, so I asked if he'd take $3. I pity the fool who'd pay more.

Purchase #5: Garfield Print w/Jim Davis Autograph$2

This is easily my favorite purchase of the day and that's saying a lot, because I love SLU's and vintage cards.

Garfield and Jim Davis take me back to my elementary years, when I'd beg my mom to buy me their books at the book fair. One of these days, I'll have it reframed (this one is trashed) when I find some wall space in my office or classroom for this awesome print.

Purchase #6: 2001 Bandai Ichiro Figure$3

I'm not exactly sure what this is. It's either a figure or a model kit. Whatever it is, it's from Ichiro'sfirst year in the MLB and it was made in Japan.

In other words, it'll make an awesome addition to my Ichiro PC.

Purchase #7: Comic Books$2

Yup. More comic books. I'm pretty sure this makes three weeks in a row. Once again, I can't stay away from first issues and cool covers. Oh well, at least I didn't buy thirty-five of them like last week.

Okay... that's all folks. Time to take a break after spending the last two hours organizing and scanning these flea market purchases.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Nice additions Fuji. I wish I had the Bo.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Nice finds bud.....I wish our swap meet had finds like that....I'm lucky to find a beat up 89 Donruss Griffey rookey in a 1" screw down for $25!!!....with the guy yappin to me about how this rookie card is worth $50!!!

Very cool stuff.
      Currently looking for:
      Football: The Gronk!
      Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
      Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
      + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
      Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
      http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Thanks... I was pretty stoked to add that card to my collection.
        Originally posted by whitney777 View Post
        Nice additions Fuji. I wish I had the Bo.

Oh I run into those guys too... trust me, times have been rough the past few months at the flea market.
        Originally posted by azdbacks1998 View Post
        Nice finds bud.....I wish our swap meet had finds like that....I'm lucky to find a beat up 89 Donruss Griffey rookey in a 1" screw down for $25!!!....with the guy yappin to me about how this rookie card is worth $50!!!

Very cool stuff.
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by azdbacks1998 View Post

Very cool stuff.
          I seem to find the guys who want to sell 89 Topps commons for .50 apiece! Nothing but trash at my local flea market. Every once in a blue moon someone will show up for a one weekend purge fest and i will pick up some stuff.
          Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
          Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
          Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Very nice vintage cards! I love the Unitas!
            I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Working...
            X