The Hokie Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-sized cards and tickets

I can't be sure they would be considered oddball since they were usually (and still are on occasion) issued as box or case toppers. That would sort of establish their print run or scarcity if only one per box or case and you are looking for 1 or 2 particular players - well good hunting.

Anyway here are some over-sized cards from my collection:

Here is a Michael Vick Sweet Swatch Jersey - the card is roughly 5x7 and I believe this one was a box topper issue.

The Stadium Club Master Photo program was another 5 x 7 sized card.

These were awesome for autographs - I was lucky enough to get one signed through the mail by ----- Bruce Smith. Took two tries - my first attempt was during some back and forth between him and the Bills front office - so I imagine he was getting a lot of not too pleasant mail and just didn't open any for a while. At any rate my 2nd attempt scored this beauty

Not really sure where I got this one - It is either a mini-poster or part of a retail sell sheet - it fits in an album page easier that the full-size poster fits on a wall so it's all good ---

This one is pretty cool too:

Here is an Antonio Freeman Patch Card - Again of the 5 x 7 box topper type

The emblem in the center is made like the letters on High School Letter Jackets...

This one is from a retail series by Upper Deck I think - once again in the 5 x 7 format

Here are a couple of game tickets from a Hokie Season Ticket Sheet - some of the names you might recognize as playing in the NFL - others not so much but as seniors they were featured on the ticket fronts -

They were regular ticket size and shape so they resemble perforated bookmarks once separated...

The University doesn't routinely feature players on the tickets for season ticket holders - Here is one from a different year featuring the iconic Lunch Pail of Bud Foster's Lunch Pail Defense.

Each week the team selects a player to be the carrier of the pail on game day based on their overall performance and leadership during the week. It is an honor to carry the pail onto the field.

And the Pros on occasion feature players on their tickets as well. Here is an Ebay score of a Kam Chancellor ticket:

That's all for now -

Later
    -Le - ledizaster@gmail.com
    sigpic
    I collect Former Va Tech Players in all sports.

Football - Antone Exum, Kyle Fuller, Corey Fuller, Logan Thomas, Bruce Smith, Michael Vick, David Wilson, Antonio Freeman, Victor Harris, Brandon Flowers, Eddie Royal etc

Baseball - Mike Williams, Franklin Stubbs, Jesse Hahn, Joe Saunders, Brad Clontz, Kevin Barker, Wyatt Toregas - Major or Minor Leaguers!

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/87hokie/library/

Comment

A few more Oddball issues

In the comic book genre it is called "fan art," literature it is called "fan fiction" AFOLs (Adult Fans Of Lego) call it MOC (My Own Creation)...Whatever you call it - there are cards out there that weren't produced by the big names or even licensed in most cases. Yep we are talking the bootleg - these cards appear on the market and can be expensive but the buyer has to be aware of what they are getting...it's sometimes just not easy to tell - other times it isn't so much the fact that they aren't licensed editions as that they are just a fan's tribute to the subject on the card.

Whether "legitimate" or not they can add a dimension to a collection - and sometimes are just plain cool.

The several I have are shown here in this post.

First a fan tribute to Michael Vick - issued shortly after his cards hit the big time -

Ryan Williams

Don't recall where I found it - I think I got it in a trade but it's printed on regular card stock - without any printer markings on it - It could be an obscure magazine issue - it wasn't perforated...

Here's one of Michael Vick as an Eagle

Then these 2 of Bruce Smith. One is a Millhouse Tobacco Issue -

There has been quite a buzz about these cards since the "printer" sells them all over the auction sites. They are fairly inexpensive but they are too numerous to count with regard to the players, sports and pop culture cards produced.

Here is another small format Bruce Smith - it uses the SAME photo as the Millhouse...

Moving on to another short print set - and back into "real" sets - the 1987 ACE Fact team sets from the United Kingdom. When they were originally released they were only in blister packs of team sets. According to a PSA website/blog the Ungraded Marino from this set generally sells for $150 and may be one of the harder Marinos to find.

The card backs look like a playing card the fronts feature player photos and some info:

Here's the Tony Paige 1987 ACE Fact card

Also the Don Strock

(and No I never had the Marino)

Since the bucket is dragging and it's getting late - I will finish up this post with a SAGE special:

These were issue by SAGE in conjunction with the Tech Bookstore in downtown Blacksburg and were sold at that location as singles (not sets)

Notice the serial numbers - I remember noticing the runs of /1000, /2000, /3000, and /4000 while shuffling through the cards - they were sold as single and sat by the register at checkout...the number/xxxx isn't significant other than the fact I realized the number scheme and was able to snag a couple of matched sets!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Later
      Last edited by 87hokie; 03-22-2015, 11:24 PM. Reason: photo error
      sigpic

Football - Antone Exum, Kyle Fuller, Corey Fuller, Logan Thomas, Bruce Smith, Michael Vick, David Wilson, Antonio Freeman, Victor Harris, Brandon Flowers, Eddie Royal etc

Baseball - Mike Williams, Franklin Stubbs, Jesse Hahn, Joe Saunders, Brad Clontz, Kevin Barker, Wyatt Toregas - Major or Minor Leaguers!

Comment

More oddball issues

First I need to fill in a couple of High School cards from USA Football. At first glance I thought these were an "alternate" league like IFL or AFL...just looking into my confusion and found out this is a development program for high school kids...oops but hey I am willing to admit my error and move on

SO here are a couple of USA Football cards:

Harley was granted a release from his scholarship in January 2014 in order to transfer to Western Illinois...He did see some game time while in the orange and maroon...

I was listening to one of the comedy stations on the radio and heard a bit done by Andy Griffith - "What it was, was football" the memory came back to me when I was looking through some cards and found these from leagues of various types.

Several cards were from the CFL -

Mike Widger 1993 JOGO CFL The Missing Years

Mike Widger 1972 O Pee Chee

1993 and 1994 Eros Sanchez JOGO CFL

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...pstjry20sp.jpg

Cornell Brown JOGO CFL 30th Anniversary

1992 All World CFL - Mark Scott

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2b8rwcdz.jpg

2009 Winnipeg CFL Ike Charlton

2009 Argonauts CFL - Willie Pile

2000 Leaf Rookies and Stars - NFL Europe Antonio Banks

I think these were a subset of the regular issue that year...

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...psn5gmtwka.jpg

2007 Frankfurt Galaxy - Jason Murphy - NFL Europe

1999 Pinnacle WLAF - Will Furrer

Moving Indoors - Cornelius White

Mike Davis

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...psmmyxh8el.jpg

One of 2 indoor teams in Richmond in 2010 - The Richmond Revolution had a couple of Hokies on the team but the program didn't last.

And of Course the short-lived XFL

Jim Druckenmiller

Ken Oxendine

And last I have to put in this Futbol card (ok so it's Soccer - but he's still a Hokie!!)

That's it for this time. Thanks for dropping by and catch you later!
        Last edited by 87hokie; 03-29-2015, 12:27 AM. Reason: photo edit
        sigpic

Comment

I had not seen that Immaculate card the last time I checked out the thread, that's a really neat one! Also love all the oddballs, very unique!
          -----
          Andy
          Wants changing daily, inquire within!

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/dirt...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Thanks Andy!

- I had to post that one as soon as it arrived...
            sigpic

Comment

Very very cool collection bud.

I think if you get through the oddball stuff, maybe start a letter a week post, where you post some cards from each letter that you have in your collection. Might be kind of neat.

Anyway, I continue to work on the stack of cards for you bud. Don't have a ton, but hopefully there are a few you can use bud!

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
              Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
              Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
              MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
              NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
              NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
              NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
              I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Woody!!

I think I will use that idea...I have been trying to think of a way to organize my thoughts with this thread once through the oddball stuff...

Thanks again!
                sigpic

Comment

This is a massive undertaking, it takes a lot of discipline and patience to put together something in this magnitude. Congratulations!

Toshi
                  I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Even More Oddball Cards

This time I want to look at pocket Schedules. I know there are people that collect them in a collection all their own. There was even a column in the old Sports Collectors' Digest called "The Skedder" that I think was written by Judy Bartolett. They are generally free whether you send a request TTM or pick them up at the counter of your favorite convenience store. I used to pick them up when I was in Blacksburg - but since moving they are a bit harder to find. Especially since Va Tech issues multiple variations of each sport in order to feature that years seniors.

Here are a few highlights from my collection:

Bruce Smith 1984 season

Maurice Williams

The Kick by Chris Kinzer

25 years of BEAMER BALL!!

Danny Coale

Bryan Still

Cody Grimm

Eddie Royal

Not sure how Royal scored 2 consecutive schedules BUT

Marcus Davis

Kevin Lewis

For some of these guys being on the schedule is their only card!

For others it's just the beginning...

I need to back up for this one - a second glance card from HIT

I got it in a trade

And no he's not a Hokie

But it's still a cool card!

That's it for the skeds!

Here's an Iconic Goal; Line Art card that you can only get when you get inducted in Canton

The first Hokie to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame BRUCE SMITH!!

Another issued through the hall -

Printed on metal

These are cool statics - Grid Star and Star Cal -

Thanks for stopping by! This wraps up the Oddball for a while - I can add any to the thread as I find them.

I will be moving into the mainstream and draft issues next time.

I
                    Last edited by 87hokie; 04-12-2015, 10:22 PM. Reason: Added
                    sigpic

Comment

I love the cards of the Kicker and the Coach, two of the most underestimated important players. Keep'em coming, 87hoakies!

Toshi
                      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

Thanks Toshi!

Yes Beamer is the Winningest Active Coach in College Football. He's like the energizer bunny....
                        sigpic

Comment

Hokies by the Letters

Now that I have gotten through the Oddball highlights of my collection - I am going to take Woody's suggestion and proceed alphabetically.

Some letters will have more players that other and of course some players have fewer cards than others...

First up is Xavier Adibi - Drafted by the Texans in round 4 of the 2008 NFL draft he played 3 seasons in Texas. He was with Minnesota and Tennessee as well during his 5 seasons in the NFL.

2008 SAGE Hit -

SAGE Hit Auto from same year

While on card autos are definitely better than stickers - SAGE stickers seem to look a little better than the current standard...IMHO anyway

I have always been a fan of Upper Deck - wish they still had a pro contract but...

2008 UD Draft Edition

I always like cards that feature multiple players with a college tie, like this insert from Upper Deck - Campus Combos (Incidentally I think this may be Vince Hall's only card)

UD Football Heroes

More Upper Deck

UD SP Rookie Threads - Rookie Lettermen

The Ultimate!

His Topps Rookie

Chrome -

Topps Rookie Progression featured some crisp photos:

2008 Elite

and a parallel:

James Anderson was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers. While he has been on a number of teams he's always been a short-timer...according to NFL.com anyway. He signed with the Dallas Cowboys in December of 2014.

Rookies and Stars Longevity -

Topps Chrome Rookie

Total

Bowman

Bowman Chrome

That's it for the Hokies with the last name beginning with an "A" - I will "B" back at it for another post later in the week!

Thanks for dropping by

Until next time
                          sigpic

Comment

Wow, wow, and wow! You have your work cut out for you over the next several moths. Good luck and have a good build.

Toshi

Comment

Thanks Toshi!

I am looking forward to it believe it or not - It has been awhile since I plowed through my entire stack of binders for anything other than adding cards/pages...It'll be cool!

Then maybe I will tackle baseball and/or basketball...fewer players/cards in those sports and baseball is HEAVY with Minor Leaguers - which of course means not that many inserts and autos tend to be TTM acquisitions...
                              sigpic

Comment

Hokies by the Letters - B

Here are the Hokies with the last name starting with B - as you will see there aren't [I]that[I] many...

We start off with Cory Bird

Drafted by the Colts in the 3rd round of the 2001 NFL Draft, he was with the Colts until 2004.

2001 Rookies and Stars is his only card as far as I know (not including any parallels in the set - which I could use BTW )

The NEWEST Hokie on my BOLO list is Detrick Bonner -

I saw this card on Ebay before I was able to get my hands on a checklist for the 2015 SAGE High series - so far he's the only Hokie in the "pre-draft" sets...

Next up is Jarrett Boykin. He went undrafted and was signed by the Jaguars in 2012 but was cut in May 2012 after only a few days on the roster. He was picked up by the Packers who in March of 2015 decided not to offer him a contract. He was signed by the Panthers on March 12.

I love these lettermen cards that Upper Deck has been doing!!

Maybe Bonner will get one of his own in a Panini product should he be drafted...with any luck I could finish out a "H-O-K-I-E-S" banner without duplicating players to get the letters That would be cool...

Here's a 2014 Absolute Auto of Boykin

He also hit the packs in 2014 Topps -

Moving on to Duane Brown - A Richmond Virginia native out of Hermitage High School in Henrico County he was drafted by the Texans in 2008 and is still on their roster!

His Bowman Rookie card

Bowman Chrome

His 2013 Topps 2012 All Pro

We will wrap up the "B's" with another Brown.

Robert Brown - Va Tech after playing at Chowan a junior college in NC (which is kinda cool since my Dad played there in the 60's ) He was drafted by the Packers in the 4th round of the 82 draft and played with them until 1992

Here's his 90 Fleer card

91 Ultra

Upper Deck

One from Pacific

The wraps up the highlights of the B's - there are a couple more b's scattered in other posts of this thread but his alphabetical jaunt is for the mainstream sets.

I will "C" ya next time!

Thanks for dropping by!
                                Last edited by 87hokie; 04-25-2015, 09:25 PM. Reason: spacing
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X