Happy Anniversary Manon Rheaume!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Anniversary Manon Rheaume!

Every now and then a historical event takes place that sends shockwaves into our hobby.

Twenty years ago on September 23rd, 1992... that caliber of an event took place.

It was on this date that Manon Rheaume became the first and only woman to ever play in an NHL game for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

In an exhibition game against the St. Louis Blues, Rheaume played one period facing nine shots and allowing only two goals... one against future hall of famer: Brendan Shanahan.

Anyways... if you collected cardboard back in 1992, then you know the impact she had on hockey cards and one card company in particular: Classic Games, Inc. She became an overnight sensation.

Twenty years later, her trading cards have cooled off a little. But her autographs still command a decent dime.

Here's my cardboard collection of Manon Rheaume:

2008/09 Upper Deck Masterpieces Brushstrokes

1992 Classic Four Sport

1993 Classic Acetate

1995 Assets Gold

1992 Classic

1993 Classic Pro Prospects

1993 Classic Four Sport

I picked up the Masterpieces autograph last year for under $10 on eBay. The acetate card is a sweet looking insert that I found sitting in one of my rookie card boxes from the 90's.

But the rest of the cards have been dime card purchases from card shows over the past few years. In fact, the last three cards were picked up this weekend at the Serramonte Mall Show. I'll have a recap of my show purchases tomorrow.

Until then...

Who are some of your favorite female athletes?

Happy Anniversary Manon! And the rest of you... have a happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X