Bossa Show Fanfest this weekend. Sat - Grant Fuhr signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bossa Show Fanfest this weekend. Sat - Grant Fuhr signing

okay...went to the card show today. Bought my tickets to get autos of Grant Fuhr. Looked around to see if there was anything good. Pretty much the same sellers as usual. More high end stuff b/c the cost of a table was pretty expensive. There were a few tables with $1 bargain inserts/rookies/jerseys.

Anyway I waited until the end to get Fuhr's autos. I guessed correctly in thinking that there wouldn't be a huge turnout. About 1/2 hr left in the signing, I went up with my items to be signed. Shook his hand and got him to sign 1 mcfarlane base with HOF03, and another with the 5 stanley cup years and Vezina 88. Because I was pretty much last, I got to ask him a bunch of questions while he was signing a bunch of stuff for the host.

I'm paraphrasing a bit and trying to re-collect our conversation. So hopefully I get the time line correct and remember everything.

Me: You played with Gretzky and he's the goal scoring champ, did you ever face him?
    Fuhr: I played against him in the playoffs the year he got traded ot LA.

Me: Gretzky is the goal scoring champ but he's more known as a playmaker. Who are some of the best goal scorers you've faced?
    Fuhr: Gretzky was still pretty good. Bossy, Lemiuex, Hull.

Me: I heard on the radio yesterday that you were at Gretzky's fantasy camp. Did you just fly in today? When are you heading out?
    Fuhr: Yeah, I was there yesterday and am flying out later today to go back. It's a lot of fun.

Me: I read somewhere that you had a chance to play baseball too. (he had a chance to play Catcher with the farm team for the Pittsburg Pirates)
    Fuhr: That was a long time ago. I was better at hockey.

Another guy asked this:
    During the Olympics they showed a sit down meeting with you and Luongo.

Me: How does that make you feel to have one of the best goalies today say that he emulates your style of play?
    Fuhr: I'm alright with that. *smiles*

Me: Who did you look up to when you were growing up?
    Fuhr: Glenn Hall. Huge Glenn Hall fan.

Me: Did you ever get to have a 1 on 1 session with him, like Luongo with you?
    Fuhr: I see him every summer.

Me: Last I heard, you were with the Coyotes. What are you doing for them?
    Fuhr: Yes I am. I'm helping with the goaltender development.

Me: I was wondering how Montoya is doing?
    Fuhr: He was doing great, until he injured his shoulder.

Me: I was surprised that a top prospect like Montoya got traded.
    Fuhr: He isn't a butterfly goalie, but they (the Rangers) were trying to turn him into one.

Me: Would that slow a players development?
    Fuhr: He was the best prospect we had at camp this year.

Me: It's great that the Coyotes are doing so well. They were tied for 1st in the West a week ago. But there's all that talk that they could be moving to Winnipeg.
    Fuhr: I don't think it's going to happen. There isn't enough corporate support.

Me: If they did, would you move back with them?
    Fuhr: Of course, to come back to Canada. It's home.

I proceeded to tell him about my Vegas trip last year and my experience at the NHL awards. I mentioned how people at a card store signing was asking "who's that sitting beside Pete Rose?" (It was Gordie Howe). And how Mike Bossy was walking around and nobody recognized him, except for me, but I had called him Borje Salming at first.

Fuhr: Yeah, he's aged a bit.

Me: Do you get recognized much in Phoenix?
    Fuhr: Only on the golf course. Because lots of Canadians go down there to golf.

Me: What are some of your career highlights. Obviously, you have lots to choose from.
    Dale (the organizer): You guys had a great 87-88 season.
    Fuhr: I consider that year, by far the greatest team that we've had.

Me: And you won the Canada Cup too!
    Fuhr: Yeah, it was a good year. We finished the Canada Cup in August, and then right after training camp started.

Me: You played most of the games that year too.
    Fuhr: I played all the Canada Cup games, and all the playoff games too.

Me: Thanks, it was a pleasure meeting you. *shook his hand again*

I was so excited about getting to chit chat with Fuhr for so long that I forgot to get my picture taken with him. I came back later and set up the Mcfarlane figures that he signed and took a picture. Got a couple of Oiler pucks signed too. Still in a haze after, I went back to get my picture taken, when the photographer told me, "we already took one for you".
    Last edited by tiger tiger; 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM.
    http://photobucket.com/cards_for_trade_or_sale
    and my personal auto collection
    http://photobucket.com/tiger_tiger_cards_PC
    Autograph cards WANTS: Mike Vernon, Larry Kwong, Bob Cole
    Wants: GU All star net cards, 72, 76 Future Trends autos.

Congrats!!! Sounds like a great experience.

Comment

It was. Kirk Mclean today!

Comment

Showtime:

For me:

Some auto'd masks

Auto'd cards from the guests at various shows: (organizer makes these cards)

back side of 2 of the cards.

16x22 glossy

Comment

Very nice autos. Thx for sharing the scans!

Comment

nice stuff Dave, it would be sweet if you can get Linden to sign the 16x20 as well

Comment

That was my intent all along. It shouldn't be too hard, since he does do some signings locally.

Comment

Been busy so haven't had time to post the autograph session with Kirk Mclean.

Like Fuhr the day before, I waited until the lineup died down so I could talk to Kirk a bit more. I had a 16x22 photo of him and Linden to sign, and I brought stuff my buddy wanted signed. I was a couple of pencil crayon drawings of Mclean drawn by my buddy 20 yrs ago, when he was 13.

I brought them up to get signed and I asked the organizer if he thought the picture was going to be okay to sign. He was sure and asked Kirk what he thought. We tried a couple of small sample strokes on the drawing, but eventually Kirk decided "well, here goes..." It turned out fine.

He ask what my buddy's name was and personalized it for him. After that, I started asking him questions as he was going to sign the big glossy photo.

Me: What are some of your most memorable career highlights?
                Kirk: We (Kirk and the organizer) were just talking about that. Obviously the 94 cup run.

Me: How about the goal line save against Calgary in the playoffs.
                Kirk: Yeah, that was memorable, and there were a few other games too.

Me: Do you keep in touch with any of the guys from the team?
                Kirk: Yeah, Linden, Cliffy (Ronning), Babych, Dana Murzyn. I talk to Momesso every now and then.

He rattled a bunch of other guys really quickly. I told him about seeing Lafayette in Vegas and we talked a bit more about what Lafayette was doing.

Me: Are you still doing any goalie coaching?
                Kirk: No. that was a few years ago with Kamploops.

Me: So what are you up to now?
                Kirk: I opened up a restaurant, So.cial, in gastown with Bob McCammond (former Canuck coach).

Before I went up to Kirk, one of the show attendants was telling me about a family that just left from meeting Kirk who had named their 3 kids Kirk, Mac(k), and Lane.

Me: I heard about that family that named their kids after your entire name. How does that feel?
                Kirk: Yeah. Actually, my girlfriend knows their family. I heard about them, but haven't had the chance to meet them until now.

I posed with Kirk to have a picture taken and then started putting away my autographs. Kirk was signing a bunch of stuff for the organizer.

Kirk (to the organizer): The glove that I'm wearing in this photo isn't mine. It's (Kay) Whitmore's. We were in practice and I decided to try his glove. I made a couple of pretty good saves and then...sorry...I'm using it the game. And that when this photo was taken.
                Me: So was Whitmore sitting at the bench with no glove during game?
                Kirk: (laughs) No...he had a glove.

A couple of vendor's came up to get some stuff signed after that. I think someone got a BTP Mclean glove show card as a redemption, and got it autographed by him.

Comment

Working...
                X