Interview 3 : road_runner_1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview 3 : road_runner_1964

road_runner_1964 is a great trader on here. He has a very unique collection that is based on his birthday. As always, wanted to get his take on his collecting and collection. On to the interview...

1) How did you originally get into collecting?

Started in 1971 as a kid, just collected cards like all kids.

2) How long have you been collecting?

Started in 1971, but I have collected off and on throughout the years. Been back to serious collecting since about 2003-2004.

3) So, I see that you collect cards that are numbered 264/XXXX. I know this has to do with your birthday. This is a very unique collection. Where did you get the idea for collecting these cards?

I got the idea two ways, one it was the number I used to play on the lottery for my birthday, but also found out that I was spending way too much money collecting "everything", so I needed a focus.

4) How many total cards of the above type do you have?

1829 of the "variants", 419 of SPx for a total 264 count of 2248.

5) How many cards of particular sports do you have of this type?

14 (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, CFL, Soccer, Rugby, Horse Racing, Wrestling, Nascar, Golf, Comics, Celebrity, Animated)

6) I noticed you started out doing the SPx I think it was or SPA cards. I noticed you have a lot of the Topps and Topps Chrome football cards now. Did something in particular drive you to these sets?

I started collecting everything, but settled on SPx for the longest time. Then I got bored waiting for new stuff, so I added SP Authentic to the mix. The Topps Chrome really came into the mix when I picked up a Luck Chrome Camo 264/499 BGS 9.5. Really like the opportunity to chase the colored parallels.

7) Do you have a favorite card in your collection? Or a few favorite cards? And if so, why?

I meant to go back to question 7, but honestly that is a tough one. I think the best way to answer is to say they are all special, but since I have so many of three particular sets, those would be my favorite:
    2007 SPx, I have 42.28% of the total set #d 264/ (52/123)
    2011 SP Authentic, I have 67.6% of the RPA #d 264/ (23/34)
    2013 Topps Chrome, I know have 151 of them #d 264/.

8) Do you collect anything else like a favorite team, player or set?

Other than my specific efforts to collect certain brands in 264, I chase the 264s for Packers and former Buckeyes. I have completed several SPx subsets and currently working on the 2009 SPx Trios Patch Auto /10 set. Also, focus on Eddie Lacy Master Five Star set and anything of his in BGS 9.5 or 10. Also, one card short of the Master Dane Sanzenbacher PC, I have over 25 of his 1/1s.

9) Can you supply a link to all the pictures in a photobucket or flickr area that you may have them in?

Bob DePouw's (road_runner_1964) Library | Photobucket

10) Do you have a long term collecting goal?

I will keep going, as long as I enjoy it. It does consume a lot of time, but I enjoy sharing with others.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Thanks for the pub, Woody.
    Mr 264 New Bucket 07-07-12

Currently 379 in my PC.

Comment

You got it bud!

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
      X