Flashback Friday #3: Beanie Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback Friday #3: Beanie Babies

Christmas is just two days away... and Santa Claus & Roger Goodell have brought all of us one heck of a present. This year, NFL's oldest rivaly resumes when the Chicago Bears visit Lambeau Field to take on the Green Bay Packers.

As a Packers fan, it's simple. They need to win, so they can wrap up home field advantage and allow some of their wounded players an opportunity to heal.

But it's the season of giving, so I'm going to stop thinking about myself and honor the Chicago Bears & their fans by flashing back to the 90's & showing off some Bears.

Beanie Baby Bears to be exact.

If you were born in the 90's or earlier... then you know what I'm talking about. And if by chance, you don't... then just be thankful.

Beanie Babies Insanity struck in the mid 90's and were hot collectibles for several years. They were so popular that even my Mom joined the hype. Thankfully... she didn't turn out like this:

I felt bad after watching this video... but it's a healthy reminder to myself to collect for "fun", instead of "investment". Now onto my personal Beanie Baby collection:

Valentino Bear

Birthday: 1/27/95
    Retired: 12/31/98

In honor of Coach Lovie Smith... I give you Valentino for reasons that should be obvious.

Peace Bear

Birthday: 2/1/96
    Retired: 7/14/99

In honor of former Chicago Bears Chairman of the Board, Michael McCaskey... I give you Peace. McCaskey served in the Peace Corps from 1965 to 1967.

Princess Bear

Birthday: 10/29/97
    Retired: 4/13/99

In honor of Hall of Fame running back, Walter Payton... I give you Princess. Payton's jersey was worn by Fred Savage in The Princess Bride (thank you Google for helping me out with this connection). I considered honoring Jay Cutler... but that's not my style.

Actually... as I wrap up this post, I should clarify something... I DON'T COLLECT BEANIE BABIES... seriously... you have to believe me.

I purchased these three bears for $3 from a buddy who was dumping them. He had hundreds to choose from, but these three stood out... because they're bears. And back in the 90's... bears seemed to be really popular. I'll most likely end up handing them over to my Mom's collection. And if she doesn't want them... then I'm sure one of my students will find a good home for them.

But since I'm keeping it real... I figure I ought to come clean and share the only Beanie Baby that I actually have & intend to keep:

Rosa

Birthday: 8/19/04

It was a gift from one of my best friends and holds a lot of sentimental value.

It's your turn...

Did you ever buy into the Beanie Baby insanity?

C'mon... be honest. You can trust me... I own a pink guinea pig Beanie Baby, named Rosa. Do I really have any right to judge? LOL.

Happy Holidays everyone... TGIF... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

My mom use to go insane buying these. I remember when I was like 7 McDonald's was putting one in happy meal's and my mom ended up buying a ton of happy meal's just to get the beanie babies

Comment

I still have these

They are NOT TY beanies, except the one in far right 'USA' and the teenie beanie 'TWIG' in front.
      They are from Limited Treasures, if I remember correctly, they borrowed the idea from TY and produced sports related beanies around 1998-99.

I collect Utah Jazz players cards and Autographed cards
      I also collects Football, Baseball and movies cards
      Please click my banner to go to my photobucket

Wanted: 09-10 Certified Fabric of the Game of Andrei Kirilenko & Mehmet Okur
      FYI, I live in Hong Kong!

Comment

I think the Happy Meals ones were Teenie Beanie Babies, they are smaller.

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
        My mom use to go insane buying these. I remember when I was like 7 McDonald's was putting one in happy meal's and my mom ended up buying a ton of happy meal's just to get the beanie babies

I collect Utah Jazz players cards and Autographed cards
        I also collects Football, Baseball and movies cards
        Please click my banner to go to my photobucket

Wanted: 09-10 Certified Fabric of the Game of Andrei Kirilenko & Mehmet Okur
        FYI, I live in Hong Kong!

Comment

gladdyontherise - When I started teaching... I had to supplement my income by working at a card shop. The owner had me buy a bunch of these everyday. As soon as McDonald's retired the promotion (a few weeks later), we'd put these in our cases for $10 to 15 a piece and they'd sell. Those were the good old days.

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post

moosejaw00 - I remember the sports bears from back then... we used to sell ones called Bambino Bears.

Originally posted by moosejaw00 View Post
          I still have these
          They are NOT TY beanies, except the one in far right 'USA' and the teenie beanie 'TWIG' in front.
          They are from Limited Treasures, if I remember correctly, they borrowed the idea from TY and produced sports related beanies around 1998-99.
          Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Anyone need more plmk my wife has all bears fills 2 tubs and the cards too ! Lol
            my photobucket:
            http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab5/littleredjacks/

Comment

It insane how little these sell for today... let's hope they're like yo yo's & skateboards and become trendy sometime in the near future.

Originally posted by littleredjacks View Post
              Anyone need more plmk my wife has all bears fills 2 tubs and the cards too ! Lol

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

If you all still have them, I collect the USA related animals still
                Isaiah 40:31 : But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

TTM AUTOGRAPH COUNT : 3258
                Check out my TTM Auto SASE breaks now on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                X