Flea Market Finds #34: Three Trips in Four Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Finds #34: Three Trips in Four Days

Ahhh... Spring Break. An opportunity for me to catch up on organizing my collection, relax, and possibly travel a little.

Unfortunately, I didn't accomplish any of these things last week during my week off.

Instead I stuck around the Bay Area, hung out with friends, went to a Giants' game, and walked around several flea markets.

Here's a recap of my purchases:

When: Thursday, April 4th
    Where: Capitol Flea Market
    What: Non-Sports Collectibles
    How Much?: $8.50

Purchase #1: G.I. Joe Comic Books$4

I grew up watching G.I. Joe cartoons, so there was no way I could walk away from these #1 issues.

Purchase #2: Rolling Stone "Elvis Presley Tribute" 9/22/77$1

Elvis Presley was a little before my time, but there's a reason he's called The King of Rock and Roll. He's an American icon and for a dollar, I now own a piece of history.

Purchase #3: Bruce Springsteen "Born in the U.S.A." Album$.50

It's been awhile since I have added an LP to the collection, but it's hard to walk away from a 50ยข copy of BornIn The U.S.A.

Purchase #4: WWF Toys R Us Photo Promos$3

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a wrestling fan these days. But back in the late 80's and early 90's, one of my favorite things to watch was WWF's Saturday Night's Main Event.

This is a promotional set produced for Toys R' Us back in 1990. The vendor had a small stack that included eight of these 8.5" x 11" photos: Legion of Doom(x3), Hulk Hogan(x2), and the Ultimate Warrior(x3). He originally wanted a buck for each photo, but eventually accepted my $3 offer to take all of them off his hands.

When: Saturday, April 6th

Where:De Anza Flea Market

What: Stamps, SLU's, and a Wax Box

How Much?: $32

Purchase #1: Two Kenner SLU's and a box of 1996 Topps Gilt Edge$15

A guy had a huge $5 table with hundreds of figures and other collectible knick-knacks. I understand that Starting Line-Ups have lost their luster in the eyes of many collectors, but there was no way I was walking away from 1988 figures of James Worthy and Charles Barkley.

Purchase #2: Japanese Stamp Collection$17

I'm not really a stamp collector, but I stumbled across this book full of Japanese stamps. The main thing that caught my attention were several sheets that commemorates the 1964 Summer Olympics held in Tokyo. I have no clue on their value, but regardless... they're pretty cool.

When: Sunday, April 7th
    Where: Capitol Flea Market
    What: Two Binders Full of Cardboard
    How Much?: $15

Purchase #1: 90's Marvel Skybox Collection and Magic The Gathering Collection $15

Do you ever buy something... just to buy something? Anytime I see binders with pages, I'll stop to take a peek. Just as I was about to leave empty handed, I noticed these two binders on a guy's table.

Neither contained sports cards. But the Skybox Marvel cards caught my attention. The guy wanted $10/binder or $15/both. At $7.50/binder, I couldn't pass it up.

I don't collect or play Magic The Gathering, but I figure these will be an easy flip the next time I set up at the flea market myself.

As for the Marvel binder... it contained partial series 1, 2, and 3 sets... along with a complete series 4 set. There were also hundreds of doubles, so if by chance you have any singles for these sets, I'd love to trade for the ones I need. Here's a link to my 1990 to 1993 Skybox Marvel Wantlist.

Well... that's about it. Nothing exceptionally exciting... but at least these purchases didn't make too huge of a dent in my bank account either.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X