I Want My MTV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want My MTV!

It's been at least ten years, since I watched anything on MTV. But when I was a kid, I'd watch music videos for hours.

Over time, MTV evolved into anything but music television. In the early 90's, MTV paired athletes and musicians for an annual game of softball. Since this was during the peak of cardboard collecting, MTV produced a trading card set to promote their 1992Rock n' Jock game.

So if you're a fan of promotional cards, 90's oddballs, or even the rhymes of MC Hammer... then this set is for you:

1992 MTV Rock n' Jock #1

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Stanley Burrell who worked as a batboy for the Oakland Athletics. Eventually he grew up, changed his name to MC Hammer, and turned into a hip hop/pop icon.

By 1992, he had just wrapped up two successful albums in back to back years and was on top of the music world... which is exactly why MTV chose him to be in this set.

1992 MTV Rock n' Jock #2

The Big Hurt had just finished his second season in the big leagues. And oh what a season it was. At just 23 years old, he hit .318, had 32 home runs, scored 104 runs, drove in 109 runs, led the league in walks & on base percentage, and was third in MVPvoting.

1992 MTV Rock n' Jock #3

And rounding out the three card promotional set was The Kid. At the time, Griffey was arguably the hottest player in the hobby. Three years after his MLBdebut, he was only 21 years old and already a two-time all-star and two-timeGold Glove Award winner.

Eventually... Hammer's popularity would fade, but Griffey and Thomas would end up slugging it out for several more years.

Ironically... two decades later, it's The Hammer that's still performing and both The Big Hurt and The Kid who have hung up their cleats, while waiting to be enshrined at Cooperstown.

As for the 1992 MTV Rock n' Jock set... (IMHO) it's truly an awesome set that has stood the test of time. If you're interested, they're readily available on eBay for around $8.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Awesome read as usual
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog posts.

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
      Awesome read as usual
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X