Set Showcase #30: 1991 Space Shots: Moon & Mars Special Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set Showcase #30: 1991 Space Shots: Moon & Mars Special Edition

There are so many things in our lives that are truly amazing when you sit back and think about it. Night vision goggles. Artificial organs. The ability to see and talk to someone on the other side of the planet. The internet. Seriously... the list could go on and on and on. Every year inventions and mankind's accomplishments get cooler and crazier. In fact as time goes on, we often forget about past accomplishments in favor of these newer trends.

But one event that has stood the test of time is the Apollo missions that sent astronauts into space and walking on the moon. Insane... right? At night, you can look up into the sky and say... 40+ years ago 12 men walked on that giant ball in the sky.

Anyways... it's one of those things that will always leave me in awe. That's why I'm pretty excited to own this 36 card set produced by Space Shots in 1991.

Back then everyone was cashing in on the trading card industry... including NASA. There are at least three different sets produced by Space Shots, but this set is the only one I know of that is completely embossed. If you're not sure what I'm talking about... remember Action Packed trading cards from the 90's? These cards are just like those.

Here's a look at the complete set:

#1 - #9

#10 - #18

#19 - #27

#28 - #36

Here's a closer look at card #4... Mr. Neil Armstrong:

It's actually a pretty amazing looking set... especially when you consider that it was produced over twenty years ago.

Each set also included an unnumbered header card and a checklist:

And everything you see above was packaged nicely into this decorative box:

Since it was produced during the Junk Wax Era, you can find these factory sets for under $10 on eBay. And if you check you local flea markets, you can probably pick them up for a lot less than that. I grabbed my set for a whopping... one dollar.

Not bad for some cardboard that commemorates an event that will never cease to be amazing.

What are some of mankind's inventions and accomplishments that leave you in awe?

Happy Friday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

I love this set! I was born in 1966, I recall Robert Kennedy's assassination, Vietanam, Kent State, and the Apollo Missions. My daughter now is a student at Kent State, how time flies. These cards has brought back my childhood memory, I had a Apollo rocket ship toy that I used to play with. Children during that time dreamed of space. Movies like 2001 Space Odessey and TV shows like Star Trek and Space 1999, and my all time favorite movie Planet of the Apes were all the rage. I did get to cook for Charlton Heston in Palm Springs! We talked a bit and I walked away with a impression that I will never forget! Down to earth, carries himself in a humble manner, always a smile and hello, a certain persona that came from him in that I cannot describe, and not full of himself like many of our current day stars. Thank you for sharing Fujisan! You've allowed me to time travel today. Do you remember H.G. Wells the Time Machine with Rod Steiger?
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

That's pretty cool that you cooked for Heston. I loved those original Planet of the Apes movies. I never read the book The Time Machine... but I watched the movie that was put out 5 to 10 years ago. Loved the concept.

Originally posted by hayn View Post
      I love this set! I was born in 1966, I recall Robert Kennedy's assassination, Vietanam, Kent State, and the Apollo Missions. My daughter now is a student at Kent State, how time flies. These cards has brought back my childhood memory, I had a Apollo rocket ship toy that I used to play with. Children during that time dreamed of space. Movies like 2001 Space Odessey and TV shows like Star Trek and Space 1999, and my all time favorite movie Planet of the Apes were all the rage. I did get to cook for Charlton Heston in Palm Springs! We talked a bit and I walked away with a impression that I will never forget! Down to earth, carries himself in a humble manner, always a smile and hello, a certain persona that came from him in that I cannot describe, and not full of himself like many of our current day stars. Thank you for sharing Fujisan! You've allowed me to time travel today. Do you remember H.G. Wells the Time Machine with Rod Steiger?
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X