Landon Donovan Signs Upper Deck Autograph Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landon Donovan Signs Upper Deck Autograph Deal

Los Angeles Galaxy and Team USA soccer star Landon Donovan has signed* multi-year contracts to sign autographs and provide game-used equipment for Upper Deck and Upper Deck Authenticated.* The deal allows the company to be the sole providers of Donovan's autographed trading cards, memorabilia and game-used equipment.

“He has nearly single-handedly reinvigorated the sport of soccer in the United States and his memorable goal against Algeria in last year’s FIFA World Cup still resonates with sports fans everywhere,” said Jason Masherah, Upper Deck's Vice-President of Marketing and Business Development.

Donovan's first signing session with the company was on Wednesday.

“I consider it an honor to join the Upper Deck and Upper Deck Authenticated families,” said Donovan.”I look forward to providing authentic, genuine signatures to my fans and creating some special keepsakes along the way. I believe the Upper Deck and UDA teams will do just that.”

The 29-year-old winger/striker for the Galaxy joins* Michael Jordan, LeBron James and Tiger Woods as pitchmen for Upper Deck and UDA.

Well known to soccer fans worldwide, Donovan’s persona took another leap into the stratosphere last July when he led the United States National Team to the coveted Round of 16 in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. It marked the first time since 1930 that the U.S. team had won its World Cup group and it was Donovan’s goal in extra-time against Algeria that made it possible.

For the U.S. National Team, Donovan is the all-time leader in goals and assists and he is a seven-time winner of the U.S. Soccer Player of the Year award. His three goals in last year’s World Cup also made Donovan the highest-scoring American in World Cup history.

A competitive MLS player since 2001, Donovan has tallied 71 league goals in six seasons with the L.A. Galaxy and he notched the 100th goal of his MLS career in August 2010. One month later, Donovan became the Galaxy’s all-time leading scorer and he has served as the team’s permanent captain since 2009.

Donovan appeared prominently inside last year’s Upper Deck Soccer set, and once again headlines this year’s collection, which went on sale this week.

Donovan* autographed items for UDA will include FIFA World Cup and MLS Match soccer balls; 8” x 10” and 16” x 20” photos; L.A. Galaxy jerseys; and special, limited-edition items including UDA’s patented “Breaking Through” displays, which showcase an action print of him in mid-kick with a soccer ball appearing to break through the frame’s Plexiglas, providing what the company calls a "3-D effect".

Additional autographed and game-used items spotlighting Donovan’s career will be coming in June.

More...
Working...
X