Love @ 1st Sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love @ 1st Sight

To be a champ, you have to believe in yourself when no one else will.

1951 Topps Ringside #43

A few months ago, I came across this card over at Scott Crawford On Cards and knew instantly that I had to own a copy for my collection.

Ironically, I'm not a huge boxing fan. In fact, I haven't really followed boxing on a regular basis since the days of Iron Mike.

But do yourself a favor and take a few seconds to look over this amazing cardboard specimen. It's over sixty years old, has a simple, yet awesome card design, and features one of the greatest boxers to ever enter the ring.

Robinson went 85-0 as an amateur and won his first 40 fights as a professional. On February 5th, 1942... he lost his first professional fight to Jake Lamotta. After that he fought ninety-one more times over the next eight years before he lost again.

When he finally hung up his gloves in 1965 at the age of forty-four, his professional boxing record stood at: 173 wins, 108 knockouts, 19 losses, 6 draws, and 2 no contests. Out of his 19 losses, 15 occurred after 1956.

Impressive, right? That's why I had no problem dropping $23.50 for this awesome card.

What about you...

Have you ever seen a card and knew instantly that you had to own it?

If so... what card was it? What impressed you about the card? Have you purchased it?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X