UD Random Act of Kindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD Random Act of Kindness

Last month, I sent Chris Carlin and the Upper Deckcustomer service department an email commending them on their decision to include professional surfers in their Goodwin Championsproducts over the past few years. I've had a lot of fun collecting all of their autographs, because I've always been a fan of the sport.

No... I've never surfed in my life. But I have a lot of family in Hawaii and I spent plenty warm summers watching my cousins surf, while I stuck to boogie boarding and body surfing.

In short... I'm a poser or wannabe. Maybe one day I'll add surfing lessons to my bucket list... but until then... I'm content on collecting cards of surfers.

However there's one iconic surfer that's currently missing from my collection. His name is Eddie Aikau.

Mr. Aikau was a legendary surfer who was lost at sea in the late 70's. He was a crew member on a double hulled canoe that was on a 28 day voyage going from Hawaii to Tahiti. Within 12 hours of leaving Honolulu, the canoe capsized leaving all 16 crew members clinging to the canoe. Eddie asked the captain if he could paddle on his surfboard to get help. After being denied several times, the captain eventually gave in and Eddie set off to find help.

A passing plane spotted the capsized canoe and everyone was rescued. Everyone except Eddie... who was never to be seen again. Today he's a local hero and honored with a surfing event in his name.

Anyways... getting back to my email to Upper Deck, I inquired about whether or not they had ever considered creating a card of Eddie Aikau.

Chris responded a week later and informed me that they had tweeted out my original surfer post on this blog from back in 2012. They also told me that creating cards of Mr. Aikau might be tricky since he's no longer available to sign autographs and obtaining memorabilia might be a little difficult to obtain from the family. However, he assured me that he'd pass on the message to the Goodwinproduct manager.

As you can imagine... I was more than pleased with their response. The fact that they actually took the time to read my email, check out my blog post, and pass it on to their followers was an amazing gesture... and one I'll always appreciate.

Fast forward to a few days ago... when this padded envelope arrived at my place:

It was a Random Act of Kindnesspackage that included this handwritten postcard:

And this amazing on-card autograph of 11xASP World Tour Champion... Kelly Slater:

2012 UD All-Time Greats Signatures #KS4 (#'d 6/35)

Thanks Mr. Carlin and the people over at Upper Deck! I promise to give Mr. Slater a nice home as he gets comfortable in my Surfer PC.

And if you ever decide to create a card of Eddie... I assure you he'll be welcomed too.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Great story, thanks for sharing!
    What I'm looking for.
    Any Dallas Cowboys Post Football Cards. (I think they only made 1962)
    1961 Fleer Dallas Cowboys
    1964 Philadelphia Dallas Cowboys
    1965 Philadelphia Dallas Cowboys
    1966 Philadelphia Dallas Cowboys
    1967 Philadelphia Dallas Cowboys
    Game Used, Auto's, inserts and commons of all Cowboys.

***2003 Tony Romo Playoff Contenders***

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Un...e%20Used%20etc

Comment

Cool story. My roommate in college was friends with Kelly Slater (went to high school together). He went a few times to watch him compete.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Very cool. Your buddy probably has some really cool stories. Happy holidays!

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
        Cool story. My roommate in college was friends with Kelly Slater (went to high school together). He went a few times to watch him compete.
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X