X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do staff/administration.......

I have a few questions ---

1st question - Why are posts removed without the member being told in advance (or at all), by way of a PM, and the reason for it's removal?

2nd question - Why are members told not to post certain types of comments in open forums, and yet staff/administration can get away with doing the same type of thing? Doesn't everyone have the same "freedom of speech"?

3rd question - Why are comments/opinions about an issue/other traders/etc posted by members removed and/or criticized openly by staff/administration at times?

4th question - Why is profanity allowed on open sites (example - d---,s---,f---,etc), and yet posts without profanity are removed (and they don't include threats,insults,etc)?

5th question - Why aren't ALL members allowed to express their opinions so long as they don't use profanity,insult, or threaten anyone?

When I was a mod I'd let members know, by way of PM, why their post was being removed from a particular thread or why a word(s) was/were removed. I did this either before, or very shortly afterwards, and I didn't criticize them on an open forum about it.

Most staff/mod's here seem to do a good job. However, some do some/all of what my questions are about. I don't expect any posted answers here, just want some thought about these questions. Have a good day.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

subscribed to this thread
    Pics: http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/casket_photos/

Comment

People have different rules of what profanity is. There is no profanity used on this forum ever since several past mods have left the staff. Members should not get involved in issues that dont involve them (in the trade dispute forums). Certain members seem to think they can express whatever opinion they want even though they have been told numerous times to not act that way and insult another member on the open forums. Its always the same members who are being difficult and complain about everything and try to control what can be done and said on this site. Quite frankly, this is an open forum to be fun for everyone. If certain members dont like the site, they are free to go elsewhere. Causing problems and trying to run the site how they they see fit is not going to happen. Every forum has members like this, its just the way it is. Obviously if out of 2800 members with probably 500 different members logging on each day, if they dont have a problem with the site, maybe it is those few members who are.

Comment

So, even though some members who do these things are called on the carpet some staff/administrators are still allowed to do it ? Rules for inappropriate items should be for EVERYONE. Kerwin, a lot of your post has nothing directly to do with addressing the questions. Therefore, why is it here? Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes, but I just thought these were some items that needed to be addressed and thought about. Glad to hear that "profanity" has decreased, because in the past some staff/mod's (and some are still here) supported it and went against those who wanted to keep it off open forums. Shouldn't ALL rules on open forums apply to EVERYONE, members/staff/mod's alike? No need to post an answer, just think about it.

As I said in the original post, I'm not expecting answers to be posted here concerning these issues. Instead, I'd like everyone who reads them to think about them. If anyone wants to leave comments, please direct them to the SPECIFIC question(s) you're answering.

Have a good night.

Orioles Autos I need
        Orioles GU I need

Comment

1st question - Why are posts removed without the member being told in advance (or at all), by way of a PM, and the reason for it's removal?

If it's obvious why a post was removed, does it really need to be explained to the poster what he/she did wrong? This is not grade school, where you get reprimanded for doing something naughty and told to apologize. It's simply taken care of.

2nd question - Why are members told not to post certain types of comments in open forums, and yet staff/administration can get away with doing the same type of thing? Doesn't everyone have the same "freedom of speech"?

You lost me on this, point to some examples please. If you're too scared to say any names then use me. Everyone has freedom of speech, unless it's purposefully inflammatory, meaning they're meant to start trouble. Posts that are inflammatory are dealt with.

3rd question - Why are comments/opinions about an issue/other traders/etc posted by members removed and/or criticized openly by staff/administration at times?

If there is an issue with another trader that is in the process of being resolved, why is it any of your business? If you weren't directly involved in the issue, then there's no need to comment. Especially if you're doing nothing to help the situation; little IMOs just add fuel to the fire we're trying to put out.Only the victim, offender, and moderators helping should be involved in the case.

4th question - Why is profanity allowed on open sites (example - d---,s---,f---,etc), and yet posts without profanity are removed (and they don't include threats,insults,etc)?

A simple "d-word" isn't going to destroy the world, mostly it is in good banter with friendly traders and friends. Forums like these are designed to help start friendly trading relations, I hope you would agree. As long as it doesn't get out of hand it's fine. Once again, an inflammatory post doesn't necessarily contain cuss words, but it can be a sneaky insult post that looks to undermine others and what they do/believe.

5th question - Why aren't ALL members allowed to express their opinions so long as they don't use profanity,insult, or threaten anyone?

They can, not sure why you think that's untrue.

Now I can't speak for myself, but the rest of the staff does a DANG good job in keeping the site going, whether it be fixing a card draft gone wrong, booting scammers, or dealing with troublesome members in the best way possible. Those issues FAR outweigh a few cussy words, and im pretty sure most would agree. So to suggest that the staff acts above others in regards to rules or abuses power strikes a chord with me.

Go to another site and I doubt you'll find a staff that works as hard to keep the BS in check.

That's my .02 on the situation, if you would like to discuss then do so. Or if you want to practice what you preach, we can go PM and keep the criticisms off the open forum.
          "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Thanks for your reply. In response to some of your comments ---

1st question --- not everything is "obvious" to all. What is "obvious" to one may not be to another. Wouldn't you like to know why something of yours was moved and/or deleted. Why do things behind someones back? Do you like things done behind your back?

2nd question --- some staffers/..... have deleted things they thought weren't acceptable and yet they sometimes then criticize members about it on an open forum. Is this right?

3rd question --- what's wrong with giving someone support, so long as inappropriate words and threats aren't used ?

4th question --- if using small, but still profane words is allowed on open forums what's to stop it from getting worse? Also, some members here are youth and they already hear too much of that in movies,tv shows, etc. So why do we not need to enforce it? It's still enforced in schools. Not many people get away with cursing their parents, spouses,& bosses, so why let them get away with it here? This should be a nice clean site, not one where inappropriate language is used. I will say it does seem to be improving. But if it's continued to be allowed it'll start heading in the wrong direction again.

5th question --- I think it's not true because it isn't. Some of my "opinions" have been removed because of what some others thought, such as the one I posted the other day. What I posted wasn't fulgar, wasn't causing a problem, etc. A staffer just didn't like it and deleted it behind my back with no notification at all.

Overall, some things, like less profanity, have improved. However, ALL members/staff/etc STILL should be treated equally. Most staff/.... do a good job, I said that before. But these things I've mentioned need to be thought of and problems corrected, and it should apply to all. No elite groups should be allowed to do the types of things I've mentioned unless everyone can. Shouldn't the RULES on OPEN FORUMS be the same for everyone?

Again, comments don't need to be posted, just think about these.

Have a good day.

Orioles Autos I need
            Orioles GU I need

Comment

Rodney, there are alot of things in life that are not obvious to everyone. thats why we have a staff to help moderate the site. not everyone has the same views and opinions so there is always going to be debates about this and that. nothing can be done about that. you need to accept the way things are run and let us run the site as best we can and take care of things when they arise without interference unless help is asked for.

most of us do not live in a perfect world of kittens and rainbows, real world is alot harsher than that and we do our best to keep alot of that out of the site and think we do a pretty good job at it. there are several trading sites out there and i belong to quite a few of them, but do not think you will find a more caring and attentive staff than what we have here on ccw.

in closing i think our staff does a heck of a job taking care of the site and several of us go out of our way to help out whenever we can. we may do things that not everyone likes but that is our job as staff to do what we think is in the best interest of the site not one or 2 individuals
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
              I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Comment

Sorry for saying something but I thought I should add something here. I have found this staff to be a lot better than one other site I was on. I have also found that if I have a problem/issue I pm 1-2 mods to bring it to their attention. The reason I do that is not all the mods can be on here everyday, so if something happens and I see it I let them know. I love this site and I love the way I can turnover my inventory. Yes this site may not be perfect, but I think its as close as its going to get. We police ourselves in a great fashion and we as a whole need to keep it running as smothly as we can.
                http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies, even though I've posted but thought of. I understand y'all's thoughts and opinions. However, most are very general and do not directly answer the questions. Just think about them. Would staffers/.... be as supportive if these things were done to them? EXAMPLEs: how would staff/... like it if posts of theirs were removed/deleted without any notification at all? How would they like it that they couldn't express their opinion(that did not include profanity,insults,threats,etc - just an honest/open opinion) but everyone else could ?

True, most staffers/... do a good job. However, some others have done things that members are not allowed to do. I know they have duties to try and keep things running smoothly at CCW. But some do things that just aren't right. I know no one is perfect, and no site will ever be perfect. Certainly, shouldn't everyone be treated equally? Shouldn't members get a message as to why their post was removed? Shouldn't warnings be as pleasant and not insulting,rude, etc.? Shouldn't everyone have the same rights as to what can/can't be posted on OPEN forums? And there are others. Just think about this. The items/questions I posted were to get staff/.... thinking on how to get these issues handled so it is more fair. Besides solving open forum issues, should staff have other rights/privileges than other members? If so, why/what? Again, shouldn't ALL members have the same rights on the OPEN forums? I know that mods/staff/... are on their toes to cut down on problems. However, some of the things that have been done aren't really fair and could/would possibly cause other problems. Just think about it.

Again, thanks for the read and replies. Have a good evening.

Orioles Autos I need
                  Orioles GU I need

Comment

Currently looking for:
                    Football: The Gronk!
                    Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
                    Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
                    + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
                    Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
                    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
                      I have a few questions ---

When I was a mod I'd let members know, by way of PM, why their post was being removed from a particular thread or why a word(s) was/were removed. I did this either before, or very shortly afterwards, and I didn't criticize them on an open forum about it.

Most staff/mod's here seem to do a good job. However, some do some/all of what my questions are about. I don't expect any posted answers here, just want some thought about these questions. Have a good day.
                      So, even though some members who do these things are called on the carpet some staff/administrators are still allowed to do it ? Rules for inappropriate items should be for EVERYONE. Kerwin, a lot of your post has nothing directly to do with addressing the questions. Therefore, why is it here? Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes, but I just thought these were some items that needed to be addressed and thought about. Glad to hear that "profanity" has decreased, because in the past some staff/mod's (and some are still here) supported it and went against those who wanted to keep it off open forums. Shouldn't ALL rules on open forums apply to EVERYONE, members/staff/mod's alike? No need to post an answer, just think about it.

As I said in the original post, I'm not expecting answers to be posted here concerning these issues. Instead, I'd like everyone who reads them to think about them. If anyone wants to leave comments, please direct them to the SPECIFIC question(s) you're answering.

Have a good night.
                      Thanks for your reply. In response to some of your comments ---

1st question --- not everything is "obvious" to all. What is "obvious" to one may not be to another. Wouldn't you like to know why something of yours was moved and/or deleted. Why do things behind someones back? Do you like things done behind your back?

2nd question --- some staffers/..... have deleted things they thought weren't acceptable and yet they sometimes then criticize members about it on an open forum. Is this right?

3rd question --- what's wrong with giving someone support, so long as inappropriate words and threats aren't used ?

4th question --- if using small, but still profane words is allowed on open forums what's to stop it from getting worse? Also, some members here are youth and they already hear too much of that in movies,tv shows, etc. So why do we not need to enforce it? It's still enforced in schools. Not many people get away with cursing their parents, spouses,& bosses, so why let them get away with it here? This should be a nice clean site, not one where inappropriate language is used. I will say it does seem to be improving. But if it's continued to be allowed it'll start heading in the wrong direction again.

5th question --- I think it's not true because it isn't. Some of my "opinions" have been removed because of what some others thought, such as the one I posted the other day. What I posted wasn't fulgar, wasn't causing a problem, etc. A staffer just didn't like it and deleted it behind my back with no notification at all.

Overall, some things, like less profanity, have improved. However, ALL members/staff/etc STILL should be treated equally. Most staff/.... do a good job, I said that before. But these things I've mentioned need to be thought of and problems corrected, and it should apply to all. No elite groups should be allowed to do the types of things I've mentioned unless everyone can. Shouldn't the RULES on OPEN FORUMS be the same for everyone?

Again, comments don't need to be posted, just think about these.

Have a good day.
                      my friend...I could not agree more with what you are trying to convey....I subscribed to this thread earlier to see where it went. I truly hope you do not get suspended or banned for stating your concerns(which seems to happen on other sites). I believe the staff members here to a bang up job....however I have seen this happening on here( more on other sites tho). Hope you get your issues addressed! Happy trading all!
                      Pics: http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/casket_photos/

Comment

Thanks for the replies, even though I've posted but thought of. I understand y'all's thoughts and opinions. However, most are very general and do not directly answer the questions. Just think about them. Would staffers/.... be as supportive if these things were done to them? EXAMPLEs: how would staff/... like it if posts of theirs were removed/deleted without any notification at all? How would they like it that they couldn't express their opinion(that did not include profanity,insults,threats,etc - just an honest/open opinion) but everyone else could ?

True, most staffers/... do a good job. However, some others have done things that members are not allowed to do. I know they have duties to try and keep things running smoothly at CCW. But some do things that just aren't right. I know no one is perfect, and no site will ever be perfect. Certainly, shouldn't everyone be treated equally? Shouldn't members get a message as to why their post was removed? Shouldn't warnings be as pleasant and not insulting,rude, etc.? Shouldn't everyone have the same rights as to what can/can't be posted on OPEN forums? And there are others. Just think about this. The items/questions I posted were to get staff/.... thinking on how to get these issues handled so it is more fair. Besides solving open forum issues, should staff have other rights/privileges than other members? If so, why/what? Again, shouldn't ALL members have the same rights on the OPEN forums? I know that mods/staff/... are on their toes to cut down on problems. However, some of the things that have been done aren't really fair and could/would possibly cause other problems. Just think about it.

Again, thanks for the read and replies. Have a good evening.
                        Rodney,
                        Nothing in this world is ever going to be 100% perfect. I think we all do a decent job of policing what goes on throughout the boards. Sometimes peoples opinions are like sparks and like a spark sooner than later they usually become a fire, before that happens it is our job to put it out before it becomes that fire i.e. and argument. We all have different ways that we operate in regard to how we handle these issues on the Cardboard Connection. We continue to put our best foot forword in regard to how we diffuse any type of situation that arises on any given day. The bottom line we do our best to ensure each member has a great experience trading and interacting within our communiity. We do not receive many complaints on how we operate and I am sure our members enjoy the time they spend here at the Cardboard Connection.
                        Last edited by ocanseco55; 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM.
                        U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
                        Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
                        Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

We all here do the best we can, if there is an issue with a lack of communication, you can always PM a mod to ask and find out something like why a post was removed. There are several members on here that PM me if they have an issue and I get them an answer if I don't know already.

Disagreeing isn't a reason for anyone to get on the wagon and preach on a moral high ground, though. It shouldn't be an argument anytime someone says something that someone else doesn't want to hear. This happens far too often. And swearing doesn't take place on the forum (unless it slips by). We are family friendly, but some of the words others think are swear words aren't, no matter how you try to spin it.

What we won't do though is berate others on an open forum or in a PM, and we won't ban someone for their opinion. This isn't SCF, this is cardboard connection.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeptrader View Post
                            my friend...I could not agree more with what you are trying to convey....I subscribed to this thread earlier to see where it went. I truly hope you do not get suspended or banned for stating your concerns(which seems to happen on other sites). I believe the staff members here to a bang up job....however I have seen this happening on here( more on other sites tho). Hope you get your issues addressed! Happy trading all!

Carl,
                            I understand and accept that this is your opinion but I have to ask.

Can you please show me here or please pm me if you want who/when and where have we ever suspended/banned anyone here just for stating their concerns?

If that has happened here I personally would like to know so that I can look into it and fix it if it is true because I would not accept that and neither would anyone else on staff here.

Plmk
                            Thanks
                            Roy
                            Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                              ... and we won't ban someone for their opinion.
                              huh? when did this start?

Sorry gladdy... just busting your chops.
                              Randy
                              United States Air Force, Retired
                              ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
                              balance of life, an individual diagnosed
                              with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

Working...
                              X