Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now?

Hey CBC,

I'm glad to join the community here and hope that I can gain some good knowledge until I'm experienced enough to give it.

My first question is this: what now? I began my collection yesterday by purchasing three packs of Topps 2014 Football at a local video game shop and two boxes of 2013 Panini Prestige. As a student with no income, I won't be able to purchase any cards for a while. I'd love to get in to some trades, but almost everything I opened was a basic card. I'm a big fan of the Chiefs, so I want to have a big collection of them, but I didn't get any Kansas City players in all of the packs I opened. How some of you have thousands of cards is beyond me at the moment! In most of the trades I've looked at, nobody looks for the basic kinds of cards I got. What do I do?

Rereading this, it sounds pretty rambly, but I'm sleepy. Cut some slack!

Thanks guy!

Ryan

Originally posted by RyanSixer View Post
    Hey CBC,

I'm glad to join the community here and hope that I can gain some good knowledge until I'm experienced enough to give it.

My first question is this: what now? I began my collection yesterday by purchasing three packs of Topps 2014 Football at a local video game shop and two boxes of 2013 Panini Prestige. As a student with no income, I won't be able to purchase any cards for a while. I'd love to get in to some trades, but almost everything I opened was a basic card. I'm a big fan of the Chiefs, so I want to have a big collection of them, but I didn't get any Kansas City players in all of the packs I opened. How some of you have thousands of cards is beyond me at the moment! In most of the trades I've looked at, nobody looks for the basic kinds of cards I got. What do I do?

Rereading this, it sounds pretty rambly, but I'm sleepy. Cut some slack!

Thanks guy!

Ryan

To RyanSixer,

I know exactly what your dealing with. I first started collecting football cards in December of 2012. Seeing all these vast amounts of cards other forum members have can be overwhelming. I was in your same situation back in 2012.

First, most if not all forum members have been collecting sports cards for several decades or more. Yes, it took them this long to create a collection. Patience is what's needed. You are moving in the right direction. Every now and then, funds permitting, purchase some cards here and there. Try going to a swap meet. You'll be very surprised at what's out there. Also check out eBay, COMC, etc. This gives you some basic idea of costs ratios, plus it's fun to window shop!

There's nothing wrong trading with base cards. My first trades were base cards. There are several members that might be interested in some base cards. Especially if it's a team or a player of which they are looking for. Much of my first trades were base cards. It took me two years to get to where I'm at, and I'm still looking for my next trade and or purchase to expand on my collection. It will take some time to get to where some forum members are at with their collections.

Toshi
    Last edited by hayn; 12-22-2014, 02:41 AM.
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

You will find some people only collect higher level stuff (autographs, relics, game used cards). The problem with trading base cards is that sometimes the cost of shipping may exceed the worth of the cards.

I collect both mid-higher level stuff as well as base (commons) stuff. I've been collecting for years and find I like to collect common stuff of people I have met, people who are from my hometown, people who are friends of family, etc.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Thanks guys! I've sent a few PMs and posted a list of my inventory here. Hopefully I catch a few leads!

Comment

Working...
        X