Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freebies (With A Catch)

Found This on another website. Think we should start one here:
    So I was looking at a few threads today. One was about showing pics of your card room so I took a moment to duck into my storage area (I can't really call it a "card room" cause it's a closet) to see if I should take a pic and it dawned on me that I have alot of stuff...too much stuff. They're all great cards and all but how often do I take the time to "play with them" as my wife says. Not too often and for some cards that get assigned to the back shelves basically never. I started to think that I may need to "thin the herd" a bit but it's too time consuming to list all those little inserts or less valuable hits for sale. I need to have a giveaway!

So how to go about it? I have run across many great collectors on this site but it's impossible to know what projects and PC's you all have. I have a couple people that participate in my group breaks all the time that I just learned today have great specialized collections going on (NLR4434 and Coltsfan27) that I had no idea about. Maybe I can help some of you at least a little...maybe I can't. But I figure this will be a place to start.

However...as with anything there's a catch. What I'd like people to do is list in this thread some of the specific cards they collect (particular player, team, set, subset, year...whatever)...however by posting you are also going to be committing to sending a freebie to someone else on this thread. If the first 5 people list items that you have none of, just check back later until you see someone with a need you can fill. Your agreement is that you will contact them for their address and send them a card or cards for free. It could be a base card they need or a stack of autos of their favorite player. Don't ask for postage...don't ask for anything in return. This won't be a trade thread but a freebie thread. By being the one to start this off I'll promise to send at least 5 people freebies but hopefully I can regularly fill someones need and clear out some of the stuff that's sitting on my shelf that will be enjoyed more by someone else.

If you get a freebie sent to you please post it here so we can see it but you are under no obligation to send something back to them...as long as you do (or already did) send out a freebie to someone else that posted a need (or want) here. Obviously I would hope that you would continue to send some out as you see needs you can fill rather than stopping at one...but by posting you must agree to AT LEAST one. By posting here and sending out a freebie to someone else, there's no guarantee that you will ever get a freebie sent to you based on your interests or needs...but that's not what it's about. If you send one out but never receive one, please don't complain. Also don't grumble that you sent an auto but only got a few base cards in return...that's not what this is about. If you can't understand that or agree to that then perhaps you shouldn't post. But if we can help each other out with our collections without worrying so much about matching book values or sale values...I hope that's a good thing.

So with all that said (sorry about the long read)...who wants some freebies? Remember try to be specific if at all possible as I'm hoping if I don't have it then someone else out there will!
    Thanks,
    Ryan

I collect all Rajon Rondo.
    http://s846.photobucket.com/albums/ab30/basketballboy993/
    My Photobucket is in my sig. Click on it
    Tradelist: http://kidcarciawantsandtradelist.webs.com/

That's interesting. I'll see if it's something that the rest of the staff would like to see started.

Dan

Comment

Okay thanks!
      Thanks,
      Ryan

Comment

a great idea if you launch it count me in on being a particapant, bob

hope i spelled that close lol
        UD Baseball MASTER SET Collector!! I need 1 copy of every BB card UD made. My want list is far from complete. LMK what you have & what you want

Comment

This is a great idea! This is what collecting is about... I will gladly participate, my main PC consists of Miami Dolphins, Marino, Mark Clayton, Mark Duper, OJ McDuffie and just about any other dolphin! Can't wait to get the cardds movin'!

Comment

cool. this is gonna be a good thread if you deciede to allow it.
            Thanks,
            Ryan

Comment

After reviewing it (by the staff), it would be hard to follow it closley. When tried on other sites, there were always a few that were only in it for free cards and didn't send out anything. We really don't want the headaches involved in doing this.

Dan

Comment

I know on other sites after a few trades I established relationships with other collectors that I knew collected a certain team or player and would just save up what I had and send to them from time to time. They would generally return the favor.

Nothing is stopping anyone from sending freebies to others - in fact I would personally encourage it as we definitely want to support a community atmosphere since we are a community after all - but I don't think an official site-sponsored one where we become responsible if someone doesn't return the favor, doesn't get their stuff etc. is something we can handle.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Matt
                DON'T PM ME - MY INBOX IS FULL!

UT Rookies wantlist - Set wantlist

Comment

Originally posted by longhornjunkie View Post
                  I know on other sites after a few trades I established relationships with other collectors that I knew collected a certain team or player and would just save up what I had and send to them from time to time. They would generally return the favor.

Nothing is stopping anyone from sending freebies to others - in fact I would personally encourage it as we definitely want to support a community atmosphere since we are a community after all - but I don't think an official site-sponsored one where we become responsible if someone doesn't return the favor, doesn't get their stuff etc. is something we can handle.
                  Here is a perfect example of this friendly swapping. Today I received a package unexpected from a fellow trader on this site. With this note attached....

With the note he sent a ton of cards of teams/players I collect....

Now some point in the near future I will return the gesture. Great way to make friends, and get rid of cards you don't want for ones you do.
                  TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
                  A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Making other people happy is my biggest thrill in the hobby. I love getting stuff for my pc but it means more to me to help out others. Any members that would like to, send me a pm and tell me who your favorite team is and I will send you some freebies as time and funds permit.
                    Arizona Cardinals Autos
                    Alabama Crimson Tide Autos
                    Wrestling Autos
                    Wrestling Relics

Comment

I collect UD Baseball products
                      Javy Lopez
                      Dale Murphy
                      All Atlanta 2nd Basemen in Bravo Unis
                      Braves Managers, Logo, Mascot & Team Photos
                      Dan Marino
                      Zach Thomas
                      UD Baseball MASTER SET Collector!! I need 1 copy of every BB card UD made. My want list is far from complete. LMK what you have & what you want

Comment

I collect Rajon Rondo, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Michael Jordan, and Kobe Bryant. I'll happily send out some freebies as well. You can PM me with who you collect.
                        Thanks,
                        Ryan

Comment

Working...
                        X