Hall of Famer Feller dies at 92 (AP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Famer Feller dies at 92 (AP)

Bob Feller, the Iowa farm boy whose powerful right arm earned him the nickname "Rapid Robert" and made him one of baseball's greatest pitchers during a Hall of Fame career with the Cleveland Indians, has died. He was 92. Feller died at 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday night of acute leukemia at a hospice, said Bob DiBiasio, the Indians vice president of public relations.

More...

Oh no that's awful news. My best for his family during this difficult time.
    TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
    A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Sorry to hear about the passing of Bob Feller. He was a great player, and an interesting one to listen to. I've seen several programs where he shared his thoughts, experiences, etc - some I watched more than once. He had a great career, and a really good knowledge of the game. Baseball will definitely miss Rapid Robert.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
      Baseball HOFers Autos I need
      Orioles Autos I need
      Baseball HOFers GU I need
      Orioles GU I need
      Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
      However other offers will be considered

Comment

I actually live 15 minutes away from Van Meter, the Iowa town that was his home and where is museum is located. My sons and I go to his Museum 5-6 times a year and every time that Mr. Feller was there he was very cordial and actually a couple of years ago spent an hour with my boys talking to them about pitching and he even showed my oldest how to boost his fastball speed. I would be lying if I didn't tell you I have a few tears in my eyes right now.

Comment

Besides being a true star of MLB, here is something from the story that seems to get overlooked.....

Baseball was only a part of Feller’s remarkable story.

Stirred by Japan’s bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, Feller enlisted in the Navy the following day—the first major league player to do so.
          Thank you Bob for serving.

Your jersey was retired the year I was born, so I never got to watch you play, but your highlights on and off the field will be remembered for a long long time.

....and 18 years with Cleveland? OUCH!

Randy
          United States Air Force, Retired
          ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
          balance of life, an individual diagnosed
          with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

RIP Rapid Rob. The greatest Indian to ever wear the uniform, and a True American Hero.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
            Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
            Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Working...
            X