Nolan Ryan and the 50 Most Overrated Players in MLB History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nolan Ryan and the 50 Most Overrated Players in MLB History

WOW, yeah, the title grabbed my attention as well...

Here are the top 50 most overrated Players in MLB History....
    (according to 1 writer anyway)

I will list the 50-11 then a brief "synopsis" of the top 10....

50. Jorge Posada
    49. David Ortiz
    48. Alfonso Soriano
    47. Cliff Lee
    46. Jason Varitek
    45. Jose Canceco
    44. Scott Brosius
    43. Brady Anderson
    42. Chuck Finley
    41. Phil Rizzuto
    40. Lou Brock
    39. Jonathan Papelbon
    38. Vernon Wells
    37. Joe Torre
    36. Kirk Gibson
    35. Johnny Sain
    34. Bernie Williams
    33. Brooks Robinson
    32. Wade Boggs
    31. Edgar Martinez
    30. Sammy Sosa
    29. Denny McLain
    28. Mike Mussina
    27. Larry Walker
    26. Ken Caminiti
    25. Omar Vizquel
    24. Richie Asburn
    23. Ralph Kiner
    22. Ozzie Smith
    21. Phil Niekro
    20. Dave Stewart
    19. Jason Giambi
    18. Thurman Munson
    17. Bucky Dent
    16. Pee Wee Reese
    15. Joe Carter
    14. Barry Zito
    13. Nomar Garciaparra
    12. Mike Piazza
    11. Jack Clark

and now the

TOP 10 MOST OVERRATED PLAYERS IN MLB HISTORY

10. Mark McGwire

McGwire falls into the same boat. A cheater is a cheater, and for that reason, he doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as those who didn't take the easy way out.

Yes, McGwire blasted 70 HR in 1998, but that was all he could do. He was not a reliable first baseman and didn't hit for average, as his career BA is .263.

McGwire and Sammy Sosa helped to rekindle the flame that was missing in baseball during their home run chase, but other than that, McGwire has only hurt the credibility of this cherished game.

9. Hideo Nomo

Due to the fact that Nomo is the most noteworthy Japanese player ever to play in the major leagues, Nomo seems to flirt with immortality. Or could be that he is unique delivery was just that unforgettable?

In reality, Nomo had two stellar seasons with the Dodgers, but that is all. He came out of nowhere with his motion and hitters did not know what to expect.

For that reason, he went 13-6 in his rookie year and took home Rookie of the Year honors. After that, he was far from as effective until in 2002 he went 16-6, but that turned out to be just a flash in the pan.

Nomo is remembered for his uncharacteristic approach to pitching and not for his ability to get hitters out.

8. Darryl Strawberry

If you are familiar with Moneyball, you know how the story goes. Strawberry and Billy Beane were both poised to be the future of the majors, but only Strawberry panned out.

Strawberry might have been something when he first came up, but as time went on, he never lived out to his full potential, either.

Strawberry was quite the power hitter with the Mets when he made his debut. He hit close to or over 30 home runs during his seven years with the team and stole bases as well. He even joined the 30/30 club in 1987.

After joining the Dodgers, it was all downhill. Not only for his career, but also his personal life. After 1991, Strawberry only played in 100 games once over the next eight seasons.

Darryl Strawberry could have been great. He had potential oozing out of his ears, but because of his poor choices, he is just another overrated bust.

7. Don Mattingly

"Donnie Baseball" was the premier first basemen for quite some time. From 1984-1989 he hit for average and hit for power. He was the cornerstone of a the Yankee team.

It was a shame for how good he was, that he could never lead his team into the postseason until his final season in 1995, but that season ended at the hands of the Seattle Mariners.

Mattingly was great for that stint, but after that he was just average. Chalk that up to injuries, but we still expected so much more from him.

After 1989, Mattingly didn't hit over .300 again until 1994, but his season was limited to 97 games. His power was gone and so was his ability to hit for average.

He still is one of the fan favorites in the Bronx, but people remember him more for what he did earlier in his career and seem to forget just how quickly he tapered off.

6. Mo Vaughn

Mo Vaughn will always be remembered for that hunched over stance and his ability to hit the ball a long way.

In his prime, he managed to mash the ball and hit for average. During his time with the Red Sox and Angels, Vaughn averaged 30 HR and hit for an average hovering around .300.

For all of his hitting accomplishments, Vaughn was a miserable first baseman. His fielding percentage for his career was .988 and he committed 139 errors.

To put that in perspective, that means he averaged nearly nearly 12 errors per season as a first baseman.

Vaughn had just as many strengths as weaknesses, but people seem to only remember what he did well.

5. Pete Rose

Pete Rose accumulated 4,256 hits in 24 seasons. For that, he is untouchable.

He did one thing well and that was hit the ball. He reached over 200 hits nine times over his career and his career average was .303.

If Rose didn't play for as long as he did, would he have accumulated as many hits as he did? He seemed to continue playing even when he was a mere shell of what he was during his prime.

He never came close to surpassing 200 hits again. Did he continue to play just to increase his hit total?

During his last five seasons in the bigs, where he accounted for over 660 hits, his average dipped well below .300. If we take those hits away, he still finishes well over 3,000, but 3,590 does not sound as impressive.

Don't get me wrong, Pete Rose has set a record that probably will never be touched, but longevity, and possibly stubbornness, had a lot to do with it.

4. Don Sutton

Don Sutton amassed a 324-256 record over his 23 seasons in the major leagues. Chalk that 300-plus victories to his longevity. If not for that, he wouldn't have ever eclipsed that mark.

Sutton only won 20-plus games once over his long career and wasn't at his best when his team needed him the most—in the World Series.

In his five World Series appearances, Sutton went 2-3 with a 5.26 ERA.

If Sutton didn't pitch into his 40s, there is no way he would have reached the heights that he did. Longevity played a major role in Sutton's success, not necessarily his all-around skill.

3. Carl Yastrzemski

As the last Triple Crown winner, Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski was one-of-a-kind. He accomplished a feat that will happen once in a lifetime. In his Triple Crown year, "Yaz" hit .326 with 44 HR and 121 RBI. He truly had a dream season.

If you remove his 1967 season that thrust him into immortality, Yastrzemski was really, well, average. He reached 40 HR two more times, but other than those two seasons, his homerun total hovered in the teens.

He hit over .300 three more times, but his average stayed near .270. His RBI total also was never quite as high, as he only eclipsed 100 RBI four more times.

For someone who captured the mythical Triple Crown, you would expect some more consistency.

Yastrzemski was a fan favorite and was able to accomplish something that is as difficult as the Triple Crown in horse racing. It seems as if 1967 is the only season we remember of a rather average 23-year career.

2. Roger Maris

Roger Maris has one season that we all remember—that epic 61 HR season.

Other than that, Maris was far from as talented as his counterpart in Mickey Mantle. Maris had power for a stretch of his career, but that was all. His career BA was a mere .260.

Injury woes could have played a part in this as he only played in two full seasons—one of course being his record-setting season.

Maris will always be remembered for his magical season in 1961, but remove that from his career, and there isn't much to write home about.

1. Nolan Ryan

Nolan Ryan was a work horse. He accumulated innings at a rate that would be considered borderline insane by today's measures.

From 1973-1974, Ryan pitched a grand total of 658 innings. Today, if a pitcher reaches that total in three years, he is an innings eater.

Ryan also was a flamethrower. His 5,714 strikeouts in a career is a record that probably will not be broken. He fanned 1,089 hitters across the span of three years from 1972-1974.

For all of the K's that Ryan amassed, his winning percentage was rather low at .526. He also only won more than 20 games twice in his career—21 in '73 and 22 in '74—and in the years he did that, he started in 41 and 42 games, respectively.

You would figure that such a dominant pitcher would have eclipsed the 20-win mark more than twice, especially in a 27-year career.

Ryan mowed down hitters at an electrifying rate. He was the ideal strikeout pitcher and did win over 300 games, but it is not too much to say that this ace was overrated.

I think alot of the people on this list don't belong on it, because I don't think they're overrated. For example Vernon Wells, he got an overrated contract, but I don't think he's overrated..Nobody is saying he's amazing

Comment

the writers thoughts on Wells

Vernon Wells is one of the most overpaid players in baseball today. The Blue Jays realized this and sent him and his massive deal to the Angels this offseason.

For someone being paid $126 million, you would expect more than a .279 career BA. He has been rather up and down power-wise as well.

His 31 HR last season were the most he has hit since he launched 32 in 2006. During that three-year spell, Wells only averaged 17 HR.

Wells still has plenty of time to improve on his overrated status, as he is only 32 years old, but the clock is ticking

Comment

Where is Justin Verlander? He had to get an honorable mention at least. He made Nolan Ryan #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Support View Post
          Where is Justin Verlander? He had to get an honorable mention at least. He made Nolan Ryan #1.
          maybe he was #51 ?

Comment

He's not overrated by the general public..just by me

Comment

you agree with me that Verlander is overrated?

lol

Comment

you agree with me that Verlander is overrated?

lol
                I overrate him by saying he's the greatest pitcher to ever live, but he's not actually overrated, still an ace.

Comment

and now this is a TIGERS thread.... how do you do that? LOL

Comment

I wonder if the writer took into consideration the Angels winning percentage ion those seasons? Tommy John and Frank Tanana were more overated I do believe.
                    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

anyone care to add anyone to this guys list? lol

Comment

I'd add the butcher, Derek Jeter to the list.

Comment

DEREK JETER? lol really ?

5 World Series Titles

11 X All-Star , 5 X Gold Glove Winner, 4 X Silver Slugger

CAREER .313 (will easily get his 3,000 hit this year) and is the Yankees ALL-TIME having passed Hall of Fame member Lou Gehrig

1996 AL Rookie of the Year
                          2000 ML AS MVP
                          2000 AL Babe Ruth Award
                          2000 ML WS MVP
                          2006 AL Hank Aaron Award
                          2009 AL Hank Aaron Award
                          2009 ML Roberto Clemente Award

CAREER POST SEASON AVG of .309, with 18 home runs and 50 RBIs. Except for 2008, the Yankees have been to the playoffs every year since Jeter joined the team. He has a Major League Baseball record 175 career postseason hits, at-bats (559), runs scored (99)

I think if you look up the Yankees.. the fact that it is broken down like THIS is enough said. He is in the same breath as Ruth, Gerhig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris, Jackson etc as far as Yankees greats history..... what more can you say?

Sluggers and the Stadium: the Ruth and Gehrig era (1923–1935)
                          Joltin' Joe: the DiMaggio era (1936–1951)
                          Stengel's squad in the 1950s: the Stengel era (1951–1959)
                          The M&M Boys: the Mantle and Maris era (1960–1964)
                          New ownership and a steep decline: the CBS era (1964–1972)
                          Steinbrenner, Martin, Jackson, and Munson: the Bronx Zoo era (1973–1981)
                          Struggles: The Mattingly era (1982–1995)
                          New Dynasty: The Joe Torre and Derek Jeter era (1996–2007)
                          New manager, new stadium: The Girardi era (2008–present)

for 11+ years he IS/WAS the Yankees and still is to most yankees fans

Him retireing and being inducted evenetually into the Hall of Fame one day, will be right up there with the above mentioned guys in the hearts of true baseball fans and of course Yankees fans alike

and again... I HATE THE FREAKING YANKEES lol
                          Last edited by ac-n-mike; 05-18-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

He's still overrated though, atleast in my opinion and alot of pro players opinions..He's made out to be the greatest ever..he's not, he'll go first ballot, but he's defintly overrated..

And don't start with gold gloves, he won a gold glove last year because he couldnt get to any of the balls lol..

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                              He's still overrated though, atleast in my opinion and alot of pro players opinions..He's made out to be the greatest ever..he's not, he'll go first ballot, but he's defintly overrated..
                              Do you know a lot of pro-players? or have you seen interviews where they actually said that?

and Greatest EVER ? I wouldnt even put him in the top 50... no way

Comment

Working...
                              X