Fred Wilpon Takes Shots at Mets Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Wilpon Takes Shots at Mets Players

Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon takes pointed shots at some of his marquee players in an extensive article in The New Yorker mostly designed to highlight his rags-to-riches tale.

• Shortstop Jose Reyes will not be getting a super-huge contract from the Mets. "He thinks he's going to get Carl Crawford money," Wilpon says, referring to Crawford's seven-year, $142 million contract with the Boston Red Sox. "He's had everything wrong with him. He won't get it."

• On right fielder Carlos Beltran, Wilpon mentions Beltran's huge postseason with the Houston Astros in 2004 and says, referring to himself: "We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series. He's 65 to 70 percent of what he was."

• About David Wright: "Really good kid. A very good player. Not a superstar."
    ---
    Mr Wilpon, since you think so little about your players, i'm sure you wont be asking much for them, in that case, my Tigers could use Reyes & Beltran, we'll send ya Raburn, Don Kelly and a 12 oz Pepsi, deal?!

Heard this on the Boomer and Carton show this morning on the drive today...

Have to say he is gonna catch flack but really not that far off

He has to realize there is more to superstar then stats... There are some guys and situations that transcend sports that put them in superstar status

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Owner Wilpon criticizes Mets players (AP)

Mets owner Fred Wilpon has sharp words for some of his team's All-Stars, saying Jose Reyes won't get the big-money contract he wants and adding Carlos Beltran has dropped off quite a bit. Wilpon was interviewed for a profile by "The New Yorker" that was released this week. Reyes can become a free agent at the end of the season.

More...

Comment

He was the person who originally signed off on those contracts to begin with right?

Comment

Yep, atleast he blamed himself on the Beltran deal lol

Comment

this is the state of today's Mets

Kazmir Collection 1621/2986 - 54.2%

like Mohammed Ali I float like a butterfly
            but sting like poison ivy

My tradesite

Comment

Working...
            X