Fireworks At Comerica Park Between Verlander & Weaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks At Comerica Park Between Verlander & Weaver

Ever seen a no-hitter with a run scored? Well it almost happened for the second time in one wee but Maicer Izturis singled in the 8th inning with 2 outs.

Just four days ago, Ervin Santana threw his first career no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians.

Justin Verlander made a case for the 2011 Cy Young award. He out dueled Jered Weaver and finished the game in the dugout unlike Weaver.

He shutdown the Angels and didn't allow a runner to reach second base until the 8th inning.

Jered Weaver made two mistakes. Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen hit a shot down the left field line for his fourth home run of the season. He only gave up 4 hits in 6.2 innings but recorded his fifth loss of the season.

Carlos Guillen show boated after he hit his home run in the 7th inning. He stared down Weaver and flipped the bat while walking to first base. Weaver was already angry because Magglio sort of did the same thing in the 3rd inning but that one didn't look intentional.

From Chad Moriyama:

Both teams were warned after the home run and Weaver was ejected on the very next pitch for throwing at the head of Alex Avila.

Erick Aybar lead off the 8th inning by trying to bunt for a base hit but Verlander threw the ball away and allowed Aybar to reach second base. The no-hitter was still intact because they ruled it an error. Erick Aybar later scored on a fielder's choice when the Tigers failed to get him out during a run-down.

Verlander lowered his ERA to 2.24 and won his 15th game of the season.

Starting Pitchers
    Verlander: 8 IPs, 1 H, 2 BBs, 9 Ks, 2 Rs 0 ERs
    Weaver: 6.2 IPs, 4 Hs, 1 BB, 8 Ks, 3 Rs, 3 ERs

Box Score: Tigers 3 Angels 2

Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Sounds like a great pitcher's duel.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Verlander has near no-no, bests Weaver (AP)

Justin Verlander came within four outs of another no-hitter, outpitching an angry Jered Weaver as the Detroit Tigers beat the Los Angeles Angels 3-2 on Sunday in a testy game that grew particularly heated in the late innings. Maicer Izturis lined an RBI single to left field with two outs in the eighth for the Angels' only hit.

More...

Comment

Weaver lost his composure because he gave up the first homer to Ordonez, Guillen wanted to rub it in because Weaver thought Ordonez was trying to show him up...

Then Weaver went to another level on Avila..

Great game, glad the better pitcher won.

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
          Weaver lost his composure because he gave up the first homer to Ordonez, Guillen wanted to rub it in because Weaver thought Ordonez was trying to show him up...

Then Weaver went to another level on Avila..

Great game, glad the better pitcher won.
          Don't forget, Verlander was butt hurt because Aybar tried to bunt for a base hit in the 8th inning

Comment

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
            Don't forget, Verlander was butt hurt because Aybar tried to bunt for a base hit in the 8th inning
            Yep, he was hot headed in the mist of trying to get a 3rd no hitter, but he didn't throw at someone's head and try to hurt them, or sit there cussing on the mound and kicking dirt..

Both guys are hot heads (pitchers) have to channel it better though.

Comment

Yep, he was hot headed in the mist of trying to get a 3rd no hitter, but he didn't throw at someone's head and try to hurt them, or sit there cussing on the mound and kicking dirt..

Both guys are hot heads (pitchers) have to channel it better though.
              He only went back to the dugout after the inning and started yelling at Aybar and said he was going to hit him next time they face each other.

Fans at the stadium might not of saw it, but they showed it on TV

Comment

He only went back to the dugout after the inning and started yelling at Aybar and said he was going to hit him next time they face each other.

Fans at the stadium might not of saw it, but they showed it on TV
                They didn't show it on FSD (of course) but I don't have an issue if Weaver throws at Avila's side, thats just baseball, but when you go after someone's head, thats just uncalled for. Its the same for any pitcher, will I be mad? Of course, but thats how all pitchers play the game.

They are both hot heads like I said, have to channel it better though, in my opinion. Can get out of control and throw at someones head.

Was a great matchup though today, both guys had some great stuff today. This win will look good at the end of the season when the Cy Young Voting comes down to Weaver & Verlander.

Comment

“I don’t hit many homers anymore, and I wanted to make sure that it stayed fair,” Ordonez said. “After that, he was yelling at me to run faster, and I told him that I’m old—that’s as fast as I run.

“I’m not going to show anyone up. That’s not me.”
                  In that case, Weaver was just getting mad for no reason, mad because Magglio isn't fast enough? Weaver deserved to get shown up for Guillen then, who was just "sticking up" for his teammate

Comment

In that case, Weaver was just getting mad for no reason, mad because Magglio isn't fast enough? Weaver deserved to get shown up for Guillen then, who was just "sticking up" for his teammate
                    Yup, so let's piss off Weaver even more so he could hurt one of our players.

Good one Dan

Comment

Yup, so let's piss off Weaver even more so he could hurt one of our players.

Good one Dan
                      He was being shown by Guillen what showboating really was, and apparantly all he did was getting into shouting matches with the other team, so can't say I'm suprised Guillen did what he did.

It can be called a bias opinion, but when the pitcher is getting into shouting matches with the hitter all game, these things are bound to happen.

Comment

Guillen = moron

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
                        Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
                        Johnson/Mears/
                        Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

So now make Weaver mad and he will lose games! I think it will end up between Sabathia and Verlander for Cy Young!
                          I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
                          X