Who is the AL MVP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the AL MVP?

I decided to just give this discussion its own topic. Please vote and explain your vote!
    Justin Verlander
    25.00%
    Miguel Cabrera
    0.00%
    Curtis Granderson
    37.50%
    Robinson Cano
    0.00%
    Adrian Gonzalez
    6.25%
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    6.25%
    Jose Bautista
    18.75%
    Michael Young
    0.00%
    Other
    6.25%

I voted Verlander, and I am aware it may be considered a bias opinion, but when a pitcher is mentioned in the MVP conversation, you know that pitcher is doing something special.

Sure Verlander doesn't play everyday, but as a starting pitcher he's had an influence in 3 games per start. The game before his start, the game he starts, and the game after he starts.

He's been the definition of a horse this season, he'll go out and throw 120-125 pitches almost every start, and sometimes into the 130 range. The biggest stat for me though is he is 16-3 after a Tigers loss this season with an ERA below 1.70, he stops losing streaks from happening or stops a losing streak.

Without Verlander, I believe the Tigers would've been a 3rd place team this season.

Comment

Adrian Gonzalez. His numbers are incredible...and he plays every day. I just can't justify seeing a guy who only plays AT MOST twice a week win the MVP, no matter how good he is.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

It all depends on who ends up on top, the #1 seed in the A L playoffs. If the Tigers end up on top, it will be JV. If the Yankees have the #1 spot it will be Granderson. Gonzalez, as of now, is a distant third.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
        Baseball HOFers Autos I need
        Orioles Autos I need
        Baseball HOFers GU I need
        Orioles GU I need
        Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
        However other offers will be considered

Comment

Actually, Ellsbury's had an even better year. So I'd say him.

Johnson/Mears/
          Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
            It all depends on who ends up on top, the #1 seed in the A L playoffs. If the Tigers end up on top, it will be JV. If the Yankees have the #1 spot it will be Granderson. Gonzalez, as of now, is a distant third.
            Granderson and his .268 average automatically eliminates him.

Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
              Granderson and his .268 average automatically eliminates him.
              What is gonna hurt Granderson (besides the batting average) is his own teammates.

Granderson - .268 BA .371 OBP 40 HR 113 RBI
              Cano - .303 BA .346 OBP 26 HR 112 RBI
              Teixeira - .246 BA .337 OBP 37 HR 104 RBI

Granderson is having a GREAT season, however, you can give Cano just as good of a case as you could Granderson, for the most part.

Comment

I did not vote for Verlander but he has a solid case. In all other instances (Yankees, Red Sox, etc), they have lost marquee names and kept rolling. Without Verlander, it is true that the Tigers are not a playoff team. Yes, he plays every 4 or 5 days, but when he does, he, in most cases, beats the other team. When you allow your offense the ability to relax and only have to score 1 or two runs, then you as a pitcher are dominating opponents. He gives his team the confidence that they can win every game that Verlander starts. He probably won't get it, but there is not another player in the AL that will have an effect over his teams future like Verlander does. No one.

Comment

Curtis Granderson - career numbers and the Yanks are in first place.

Comment

Joey Bats, without him the jays are the worst team in the majors plus he has some of the best all around numbers in the bigs
                    Player Team Pos G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS IBB HBP SAC SF TB XBH GIDP GO AO GO_AO NP PA
                    Bautista, J TOR RF 139 480 102 146 23 2 42 100 123 103 8 5 .304 .448 .623 1.071 23 5 0 4 299 67 8 104 139 0.75 2617 612

Comment

Unfortunately ,for Bautista, the "Blue Jays" are not in the running. Therefore, with these others having really good to great seasons, and their teams are still in the race, he has very little to no chance of MVP. I know that others from teams that weren't anywhere near making the playoffs have won it, like Cal Ripken & Andre Dawson, but they didn't have the competition those years to challenge them. Bautista is going to have to wait, its not going to happen in 2011.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
                      Baseball HOFers Autos I need
                      Orioles Autos I need
                      Baseball HOFers GU I need
                      Orioles GU I need
                      Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
                      However other offers will be considered

Comment

My gut says Granderson because of his breakout year.. But I would like to see Ellsbury get it he is well deserving for what he has accomplished this year!
                        U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
                        Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
                        Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

First, I will say who I think 'will' win it. I can see an argument for Gonzalez, Ellsbury, Cano, and Granderson. Without any of those guys, their respective teams would not be as good as they are now. But, those teams would find players to fill the void (somewhat) and would have a chance at the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan, I would like to say Gonzalez, but he has slumped as of late. So, I see it as a pretty even race between Granderson, Cano, and Ellsbury. And as leadoff hitters, I think it will be a race between Granderson and Ellsbury. Just my opinion. I give the edge to Granderson. The Yankees are better than the Red Sox this year, and I think this will come into the voting.

Now, onto who I think 'should' be MVP. Justin Verlander. Yeah, I see the argument about the every 5th day or so, but pitchers have won it in the past. And honestly, without JV, where are the Tigers this year? Are they in the race for the playoffs? Don't kill me here gladdy, but I don't think so. He is going to have 25 wins. And I think without him, that gives any of the teams in question the biggest hole on their respective rosters. To me, it is about the 'Most VALUABLE Player'. And a guy that is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs, and having the statistical year he is having, then that is the guy.

Bautista unfortunately, I have to agree with Rodney, that he won't do it just because of the team he is on.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                          Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                          Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                          MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                          NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                          NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                          NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                          I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Originally posted by schwood View Post
                            First, I will say who I think 'will' win it. I can see an argument for Gonzalez, Ellsbury, Cano, and Granderson. Without any of those guys, their respective teams would not be as good as they are now. But, those teams would find players to fill the void (somewhat) and would have a chance at the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan, I would like to say Gonzalez, but he has slumped as of late. So, I see it as a pretty even race between Granderson, Cano, and Ellsbury. And as leadoff hitters, I think it will be a race between Granderson and Ellsbury. Just my opinion. I give the edge to Granderson. The Yankees are better than the Red Sox this year, and I think this will come into the voting.

Now, onto who I think 'should' be MVP. Justin Verlander. Yeah, I see the argument about the every 5th day or so, but pitchers have won it in the past. And honestly, without JV, where are the Tigers this year? Are they in the race for the playoffs? Don't kill me here gladdy, but I don't think so. He is going to have 25 wins. And I think without him, that gives any of the teams in question the biggest hole on their respective rosters. To me, it is about the 'Most VALUABLE Player'. And a guy that is the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs, and having the statistical year he is having, then that is the guy.

Bautista unfortunately, I have to agree with Rodney, that he won't do it just because of the team he is on.
                            Don't worry, I won't

I've said many times without Verlander this year, the Tigers are probably a 3rd place team

Comment

Well as i said in some of my arguments that he puts up super numbers on a terrible team, if he's on the yankees or the red sox his stats are 315/55/145 at this point. He's walked way too many times on the jays cause of the not so good offense behind him, and he didn't take steroids. If you hit 100 homers over a two year period, you should win at least 1 MVP award. Plus, he's missed about 15 games and still puts up great numbers, not to mention him sparkiling defense and throwing arm, jose bautista should be your 2011 American league Most Valuble PLayer!

Comment

Working...
                              X