Wow have things changed...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow have things changed...!

The love of cards began in 1980 with my first card show i attended with my Dad in Chicago.. Topps, Donruss and Fleer is all i remember as options. Now, too many to count! But truly amazing is the technology with cards and the "patches, autographs, and pieces of history" embedded in cards these days blows my mind. Getting back into collecting after 20+ years with my son has been a true joy. Packs, boxes and eventually cases ( maybe ) are the norm now for my son and i.. but i still wonder, what "brand" of cards these days have the most value & demand ? Also, do you have better chances of landing big "hits" when you purchase cases over boxes ? Big fan for last 30yrs and still going
    Any thoughts or advice ? Thanks.

I guess it all depends on what you like to do or collect. I usually find it easier, and less expensive, to buy cards individually than by the box and/or case. You may get a really GREAT hit from a box or case now and then, but you often end up with a lot of cards you're really not interested in. However, if you like the excitement of what may be in packs go ahead and have fun by opening packs,boxes, and/or cases. Do whatever, and that you and your son can afford and enjoy. Have fun collecting.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

I also find that getting what I need is easier by trading or buying for single cards. I do know that on some cases your always seem to be promised a hard to get hit. My sons and I have never bought the big case but we do splurge with a box or two every month or so and it seems that most likely we walk away wondering why we spent the money but then you get that one magic box that puts that big pull in your hand and your so glad you spent the money. Whatever the case it's your decision and to me when it comes to cards there is no bad decision.

Comment

As far as what to buy, I tend to find and I maybe wrong that my baseball cards tend to keep thier value a little better then football or basketball. Especially if you can get Baseball that is heavy in HOFers, like sp legendary cuts, or the old leaf certified, or the old fleer greats of the game.

Comment

Exactly, it's about the experience and enjoying sports! it's like Christmas opening a box with my son i guess that's why i'm so addicted... thanks for the comments and happy collecting ///

Comment

Millerzeit - Welcome back! That's awesome that you and your son are going to bond over some cardboard... it truly is an awesome hobby. Here are my three pieces of advice...

#1 Have fun!

#2 Unless you have a ton of disposable income... try to avoid collecting for investment purposes. It's possible to make money in the hobby... but it's not easy. Over the past 30+ years, I've found that trying to make money off of cardboard is very time consuming and can be disappointing... These days, I think of it as giving money to a family member... I don't expect to see the money back and if I do, it'll be a bonus.

#3 Make sure your son has fun too! Cards are meant to be touched ;-)
            Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

I have never bought a case, but sometimes that can give an edge to pull a bigger hit, but it can also lead to bigger disappointment. As far as bigger hits go, there is usually, what is referred to as a case hit, in many different products. That may not always lead to a card that holds much value, but is still considered a big hit. It has always been a who's hot now contest, when it comes to card value. That is why you have to sit on most of the stuff that comes out of Bowman products, until a player burst on the scene. There are products such as Tribute and Triple Threads that even the base cards have a good "base" value (no pun intended), but like buying cases, you may not get your monies worth in one box, as you would the next. It is really just one big gamble, albeit a really fun one. I would just suggest you research the products that appeal to you and that you think would be fun for you and your son to open, then proceed to bust open some wax.

Comment

I get where you're coming from... "busting open some wax" is the thrill i remember as a kid riding my bike to the corner store to buy packs and chew stale gum good times!

Comment

The best thing about it is that the gum is still stale. There hasn't been gum in products for the last couple of years. I think they pulled the plug on that. You can always go nostalgic and buy a box of 1987 Topps, but I wouldn't suggest eating the gum. Now it is only good for leaving stains on your cards.

Originally posted by Millerzeit View Post
                  I get where you're coming from... "busting open some wax" is the thrill i remember as a kid riding my bike to the corner store to buy packs and chew stale gum good times!

Comment

ha ha... you're right... Hey, side note. Have you ever had anything "authenticated" ? I'm looking into having some autographed balls, pics and old cards certified but not sure who to use... PSA, JSA, Global are some names i've heard of. Just curious.

Comment

I have never had anything authenticated, but I have heard of and actually have a card graded by PSA. I know Beckett does card grading and their card surrounds are much thicker than that of PSA. Other than that, I can't help you much, sorry. I am pretty sure PSA grades baseballs though.

Comment

Working...
                      X