Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Kemp & Clayton Kershaw Named to Sporting News All-Star Team

Sporting News’ AL and NL All-Star Teams Announced

October 27 – Voted on by 55 members of major league front offices, twenty-six AL executives and 29 NL executives, Sporting News has released its 2011 AL and NL All-Star teams, presented by Gillette Odor Shield.

Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander, chosen as the team's starting pitcher, was the only unanimous selection in the AL. He was joined by teammate Alex Avila at catcher. The New York Yankees had three starters on the team: center fielder Curtis Granderson, second baseman Robinson Cano and reliever Mariano Rivera.

Granderson received 25 votes, as did fellow outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury of the Boston Red Sox and Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays. Rounding out the AL lineup are Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and Cleveland Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera.

In the NL, Los Angeles Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp was the only unanimous selection. Teammate Clayton Kershaw joined him on the roster as the starting pitcher. Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun received 28 votes, and teammate Prince Fielder was selected as the NL's starting first baseman. A pair of Atlanta Braves also made the lineup: catcher Brian McCann and rookie reliever Craig Kimbrel.

Arizona Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton joined Kemp and Braun in the outfield, while Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips, Chicago Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez and Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki rounded out the infield.

Full All-Star Teams

AMERICAN LEAGUE
    C Alex Avila, Tigers
    1B Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox
    2B Robinson Cano, Yankees
    3B Adrian Beltre, Rangers
    SS Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians
    OF Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
    OF Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox
    OF Curtis Granderson, Yankees
    DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox
    SP Justin Verlander, Tigers
    RP Mariano Rivera, Yankees

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C Brian McCann, Braves
    1B Prince Fielder, Brewers
    2B Brandon Phillips, Reds
    3B Aramis Ramirez, Cubs
    SS Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
    OF Matt Kemp, Dodgers
    OF Ryan Braun, Brewers
    OF Justin Upton, Diamondbacks
    SP Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
    RP Craig Kimbrel, Braves

About Sporting News' awards: Voting for Sporting News' 2011 baseball awards was done by major league players, managers and front office executives. Ballots were distributed to all 30 teams, and 289 players, 55 executives and 23 managers participated in the voting. Players voted for player of the year, comeback players of the year and rookies of the year; managers voted for managers of the year; and executives voted for the All-Star teams.

For more on the awards and to see the winners as they’re announced, please visit: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2011-09/mlb-awards

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Congrats to Kemp & Kershaw. (As well as Verlander & Avila!)

I'd take the AL team, myself.

Comment

I don't know about that...

There's a couple Redsox on that team, so they might choke it away. Kershaw wouldn't allow Kimbrel into the game because he'll blow the game.
      Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
      Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
      Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
      Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
        I don't know about that...

There's a couple Redsox on that team, so they might choke it away. Kershaw wouldn't allow Kimbrel into the game because he'll blow the game.
        This is true, but Verlander almost never loses

Comment

nice teams, personally, i would have hunter pence in there over Upton cause pence had a better all around season but that's just my opinon

Comment

Well deserved for Asdrubal, as he was clearly the best all-around SS in the AL this year.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
            Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
            Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Working...
            X