MLB to add a 2nd Wild Card Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB to add a 2nd Wild Card Spot

Commissioner Bud Selig announced that MLB will add two Wild Card teams -- one in each league -- for a …

Bud Selig just announced the AL and NL will add a 2nd wildcard team and it's likely the two wild card teams will play in a one game playoff.

I personally hate the move. We would've never had the great Baseball we had at the end of the season if there was 2 Wildcard teams. Also, you're putting the winner of the 1 game playoff at a massive disadvantage since the ace of that team will of most likely pitched, and if MLB only has 1 day off in between like this year, that teams pitcher in the 1 game playoff won't be able to pitch until game 3 of the ALDS.
    Last edited by gladdyontherise; 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM.

Stupid commissioner messing up the game again. Remember the All Star game that ended in a tie? If its not broke, dont fix it. Stupid move.

Comment

Seriously Bud! I mean, what exactly are you thinking? Or are you not?

And when I say Bud, I am talking to Mr Selig.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Really not a fan of this idea, i agree it puts the winner of a one game playoff at a huge disadvantage rotation wise. The more I think about it, the less I like this idea.
        http://condition-sensitive.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it would be a good idea just to have the extra team get in and maybe have more races at the end of the year...

but I don't like that the 2 wild card teams have to play each other
          Not looking for anything specific, just whatever catches my eye, but I am partial to Chicago Cubs, David Wright, Jim Palmer, Miguel Cabrera, and Yao Ming

My Bucket

Comment

The positive I can see is that if you win your division, you have an advantage. Winning your division in football is a definite advantage. In baseball, the wildcard is often the hotter team going into a series and can knock of a division winner.
            Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
            Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
            Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Selig 'very hopeful' for added wild card this year - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Commissioner Bud Selig is “very hopeful” another wild card team from each league will be added this season.

Selig says that a committee formed to work out details of expanding the playoffs from eight teams to 10 is dealing with scheduling issues. Addition of a second wild card in each league would add a one-game play-in between teams with the two best records in each league that are not division winners. Selig says that would mean condensing the overall playoff schedule.

Selig says the committee knows he is an ardent supporter of the concept. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, MLB and the players’ union must agree by March 1 whether to add the new round for 2012.

Comment

Comment

Way to start his new extension by making this announcement. LOL!

Comment

I really cannot tell what will happen, if it will be good or a bad move

Comment

Selig expects expanded playoffs to start this year - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Commissioner Bud Selig expects baseball to expand its playoffs this season.

Players and owners have already agreed to add an additional wild-card team in each league, but are still deciding whether it would take effect this year or in 2013. Selig said there are scheduling issues to be worked out—once they are, the new 10-team format would begin with a one-game playoff.

“I really believe we’ll have the wild card for 2012, this year,” Selig said Friday night in Chicago at a White Sox fan festival. “Clubs really want it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an issue that the clubs want more than to have the extra wild card this year.”

“We’re working on dates right now. That’ll all take place. It looks to me like we’ll have it because I’ve told everybody we have to have it. It’ll be exciting. One-game playoff, it will start the playoffs in a very exciting manner,” he said.

Comment

very stupid move I think
                        I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

MLB expands playoff format from 8 teams to 10 - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

With less than a month to go before opening day, baseball at last decided who’s in and who’s out come October.

Now, even a third-place team can win the World Series.

Major League Baseball made it official Friday, expanding the playoff format to 10 teams by adding a wild-card club to each league.

Comment

Bud Selig is out of control. The team with the best record in the league is now at the biggest disadvantage when the playoffs starts this year?

Way to go, Bud! Continue to ruin Baseball!

Comment

Bud selig is a jerk and baseball is not what it use to be
                              I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
                              X