Clear All

• Matt Holliday Staying w/ Cardinals

Great signing for them. He's great behind Pujols

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4796085
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

I will disagree, seeing as its gonna be anywhere from 130-160 million its a terrible deal, he's good but not THAT good to give him that big and long of a contract, also this will take alot of money off the table from getting Pujols, i understand they are showing him they want to win, but lets face it, he is easily worth a 8 year deal and 250 million

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4799313

Contract is for 7 years between $119 million and $120 Million. That's about 17 million a year which is good for Holliday.

The first contract offer was for $16 million correct?

I don't know the Cardinals salary cap but we should still be able so sign Pujols for around $23 Million a year I think
      sigpic

Comment

No clue on the original proposal, however in 2009 (begining of the year) the Cardinals payroll was at $87 million, i'd be willing to bet by the begining of the year it'll be around 90-100 million, Pujols will get more than $23, he's gonna get the most per year of any player on the open market could command $35 million easily, he deserves atleast Arods contract ($30 million per year)

Comment

The only team that will pay that much would be the yankees...They just spent a ton on Tex and I highly doubt he will agree to DH for the yankees.

Plus, he's so involved in the community in St. Louis, I bet they get a deal done before his contract is up...that's after this next season right? or is it the one after next?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Collector View Post
            The only team that will pay that much would be the yankees...They just spent a ton on Tex and I highly doubt he will agree to DH for the yankees.

Plus, he's so involved in the community in St. Louis, I bet they get a deal done before his contract is up...that's after this next season right? or is it the one after next?
            he is a free agent the offseason of 2010 season, he may accept 23 however he has an agent who gets commission thus, wants as much money as possible, you cant say "i want 23" because you have no leverage to get more money you start high anticipating a counter offer, but guarntee he gets more than 23 million, i'm sure he's great in the community but at the end of the day he'll be the highest paid player in baseball

Comment

I really don't think that's as important to him as public perseption...I'd bet he stays with the Cardinals assuming they don't get stupid and spend a butt load on somebody else...

I would look for some salary dumping trades this season....
              sigpic

Comment

I really don't think that's as important to him as public perseption...I'd bet he stays with the Cardinals assuming they don't get stupid and spend a butt load on somebody else...

I would look for some salary dumping trades this season....
                Just my opinion but the nicest of sports figures still get paid large, players dont negoitate contracts, thats what the agents do.

As for the bold part, Matt Holliday and his 119 million dollar contract is where they lost some sense and spent a butt load on someone who is worth more into the 14 million range, he had a fairly average season to get the deal he got i thought

point in blank, at the end of the day Pujols is getting paid, big time.

Comment

I think that they know what they are doing, #1 priority has always been to sign Pujols and they wouldn't risk that...
                  sigpic

Comment

wow thats good for the cardinals but expsensive.
                    Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
                    sigpic

Comment

Dan.... Just because your Tigers overpay their players doesn't mean all signings over $15 million is horrible.

Holliday is only 29 years old and he tore it up when he hit behind Pujols. (He just can't field)

Comment

Jesse, I almost agreed with everything you said...he CAN field but unfortunantly, he decided to take his eye off the ball while fielding a pop fly (something he's been doing since Tball lol)
                        sigpic

Comment

I know Spencer lol, just messing.

But seriously, it only helps the Cardinals. Now this can help Pujols make his decision to sign long-term

Comment

Yeah I agree this should show Pujols that they want to win
                            sigpic

Comment

I think that they know what they are doing, #1 priority has always been to sign Pujols and they wouldn't risk that...
                              i would politely disagree, Buster Olney made some great points this morning, the Cardinals were basically outbidding themselves, Boston offered 82.5 million, Baltimore offered 70, Yankees never made an offer and no other teams showed intrest, i agree with Olney that they overpaid and he brought up the fact this complicates things to sign Pujols, he makes 16 million this year, and a team option for 2011 for 16 millon (you'd assume the Cardinals pick up the option) So they overpaid for him, thats ok if they have enough money for Pujols, if they don't have enough and need to salary dump, then it was the wrong decision, they could've signed Holliday for 7 years and 90 million easily, since no one else would've made a better offer...

To put this into prospective, it was the third highest contract ever for an outfielder, behind Manny & Soriano, Soriano hasnt lived to his contract, i think Mannys contract was the 8 years for 140 he made with Boston (could be wrong) which he did live up to..

I just wouldnt rank Matt Holliday as deserving of the third best outfielding contract (would personally have a guy like Torii Hunter)

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
                              Dan.... Just because your Tigers overpay their players doesn't mean all signings over $15 million is horrible.

Holliday is only 29 years old and he tore it up when he hit behind Pujols. (He just can't field)
                              Off topic?

Holliday turns 30 before the season starts, as does Pujols...

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
                              I know Spencer lol, just messing.

But seriously, it only helps the Cardinals. Now this can help Pujols make his decision to sign long-term

Yeah I agree this should show Pujols that they want to win
                              Like i mentioned above guys, i will listen to what a guy like Buster Olney says, you dont have to just my opinion and his i guess, that it really complicates having money to get Pujols

Comment

Working...
                              X