Boston Red Sox Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Red Sox Project...

A discussion thread, or question thread here, and I will post updates to keep track where I get to. Curious to hear about other peoples collections and organizational schemes for them!!!

================================================== ==

So, I have been through my Celtics, Patriots and Bruins collections. Although, I have a bunch to collate in there, they are mostly in order. I put them in order by players last name, and I am pulling out all my dupes.

Now, onto the Red Sox. This is going to take me FOREVER!!!

Questions :

1) How in the world do people keep their collections organized?
    SCHWOOD - I have well over 30K Boston Red Sox cards. I have them in boxes, and am digging through there now to collate and alphabetize them.

2) What is your biggest collection and how long did it take you to organize them?
    SCHWOOD - Mine is my Red Sox collection. Like I said well over 30K cards. That is just base and inserts. My GU and Autos are all separated and unorganized. I have been working on organizing these since the Fall of 2011.

RED SOX STATUS :

- I started this project in the Fall of 2011.
    - I have all my 'Team' cards (team pictures, or multiplayer cards), vintage (1986 and back), stickers, and oddball cards pulled out.
    - I have organized and collated all the players with the last name beginning with the letter A.

02/28/12 - Update
    - I am pulling out the players with last name beginning with B, C, and D.

03/06/12 - Update
    - Have all the B, C and D players pulled out. I am half way through pulling out the dupes from the B players. Will get the C and D players done, and then going to take a break and collate my Pats, Celts and Bruins. Will keep updating!

03/22/12 - Update
    - Have the letter B done. Have all of C done and collated except for Clemens. Have quite a few of his cards, so, this takes a while to pull out all the dupes. Started to get the letter D organized too. Just separating them to start organizing them. Again, going to take a break to collate my other teams for a little while, and maybe get those under wraps. Then will be back at it!

03/27/12 - Update
    - Through the letter D. This took a while. Man! Going to break from this and try and get my other sports collated. Bruins are up first as there is not a ton to do! Then probably onto the Celtics. Much more there to do. Not sure, but that might take a while. It will be a welcome break from it though!

04/24/12 - Update
    - I am working slowly on my next wave of pass through my Sox cards. I am pulling out E-I and I have all my A-D collated sans a small stack I just got in. In the mean time, I have finished up my Bruins and Celtics, sans the latest GU/Autos I have gotten in. I am in the midst of my Patriots collation at the same time. Lots to do. No time to do it!

06/25/12 - Update
    - I have finished up my E-I collation. I have also kept up to date with the new cards I have been getting in with all of my other Boston sports teams. I am in my 5th box (almost full). I put my cards in penny sleeves and store them in the 1600 ct shoebox with a little amount of extra space. I am assuming that these hold about 800 cards or so in each box so I am creeping up on about 4000 different cards I would bet in my PC thus far. This includes, vintage, teams and multiplayer cards, and the letters A-I so far. I am currently pulling out the letters J, K, L and M. So, will be half way through the alphabet at that point. But, probably not halfway through the PC. I know I have lots of Ortiz, Pedroia, Ramirez and Vaughn in there. Probably four of my largest player collections so far. The biggest thus far was Nomar.

07/30/12 - Update
    - I have pulled out all of the cards with J through M as the last name. So, when these are collated and organized, I will be half way through the alphabet. I have to go back though and collate my other sports again. I have stacks and stacks of cards again to check and add. So, this is going to take a while. Kind of slow while the kitchen project was going on! But, moving along.

08/13/12 - Update
    - I have organized everything up through the letter L. All collated, and dupes pulled out. Starting to organize my letter M cards now. Lots to do, but this will put me about half way through my alphabet!

10/17/12 - Update
    - I finished up my organization through the letters M, N and O. Ortiz was a big one. The biggest so far I think. I had close to 1500 cards of his alone. Lots of dupes, but that is okay. It is over now! Whew!
    - I have pulled out my cards through Q so far. I am currently working on the letter P. I just have to finish going through my Pedroia cards, and then P will be done. Then Q will be pretty quick. Probably only about 50 different cards in there max.
    - I started pulling out R, S and T. Right now I have about 10 thousand cards left to organize. All R through Z. Last name. Hope to have this done in the next few months, and then I can just keep up with the new stuff I get in. It will be nice to have it all said and done.
    - Note : I donated about 2000 cards to a friend that teaches elementary kids, and she gives them away as prizes. So, that is a GREAT thing. Love doing that. And they get all Red Sox so far. Have a lot more I can donate.
    - This has been a long haul so far, but it has been worth it. I do take time out to actually collate my other sports of Boston teams as I get bored with doing just Sox. Keep plugging along!

10/29/12
    - Almost done pulling out R through T. Didn't take so long as there is not that much left in comparison.
    - Have collated my Pats, Celts and Bruins GU and Autos in the process. Still have to collate the Celtics and Patriots base/inserts though. Got a bunch in lately. But, much much closer to just collating as I go. I can not wait to get my Sox all said and done. I am thinking if I do just those, that I may get em done by years end. And then just bring in any new cards to my collection.
    - Still have a mess of my dupes to get organized for the Celts and Patriots, but that won't take near as long as all I do there is put them in order by last name. Whew! Can't wait. I may have this done sometime next year, and then just keeping up will be enough to keep me busy. Pretty cool. Looking forward to it. This has been a blast honestly. A lot of work, but a blast none the less!

01/11/13
    - The organization is DONE!!! Finally!!! It has been a while. Now, I am weeding out a lot of my dupes. I am keeping a few boxes to trade with maybe, but a lot of these are being donated to my friends who teach to hand out to their students. Really loving having this done.
    - Now, just have to finish up getting my latest GU/Autos rolled into my collection, and then I can just keep up with the new stuff I get in. Very very good to have this done! But still stuff is always coming in to keep myself busy! And the new products as well!
    Last edited by schwood; 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Nice job Woody, it is a lot of hard work!
    I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Yes it is sir. Would love to see what other people do or are doing to organize their collections.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Man, this is going to take quite a while!

Comment

Good luck bud. It's a lot of work.
          Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

If you find any dupes of Red Sox base only.

My son and I collect all the base only Topps team sets.

I need a few from the 2000's and 1990;s Era then we are going to take on the 80's.
            Hello and Happy trading!

I always take the time to pm you so please show the same respect back.

MY WANTS AND FOR TRADE

Looking for any Red Sox in my WWW collecting Jim Abbott Xander Boegarts, Jackie Bradley and Bryce Brentz.

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxfan1979 View Post
              If you find any dupes of Red Sox base only.

My son and I collect all the base only Topps team sets.

I need a few from the 2000's and 1990;s Era then we are going to take on the 80's.
              If you have a wants list of guys with the last names beginning from A-D, let me know and I can see what I have at home. Would gladly send some your way. Have a bunch of dupes from pre-87 as well which I call my 'vintage'.

Comment

Updating...

Comment

I don't keep my Cardinals/Rams organized other than keeping them boxed together. Rookie cards, GU's and Autos are kept in hard sleeves and alphabetized. I like to look at those often. Albert Pujols is sorted by year, everything in hard sleeves and I keep a written list and on my tablet of what I have.

Comment

A recent update on this. In the first post. Can't wait to have this project done!

Comment

Another small update over the past month or so!

Comment

Another update...

Comment

Lots of hard work Schwoody!! I do the same thing with my Wizards collection, but it doesn't really compare as I only have close to 3,000 different cards lol. I have all the non-GU/Autos organized by last name, then year, then product, all in a 5000 count . My Autos and GU are in their seperate count boxes but are organized the same way.
                          "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

About the ONLY cards I really keep truly organized are my PC of Orioles gu & auto's, HOFer gu & auto's, and "vintage" Orioles 1950's through 1985. I keep ALL of those in binders, except for some of the HIGH BV ones of which I keep in screw down/magnet holders. The gu & auto binders are set up alphabetically, the "vintage" binder is set up by year and alphabetically (in that year, by last names). Some of the "other" cards are stored by brand, player, gu, auto, year/brand, and others (mostly commons) are just put in boxes. So, I guess you can say, I'm fairly well organized on ones I'm really interested in or can use most for trading, with "others" unorganized.

Have a good evening, Rodney

The main items Im looking to trade for are
                            Baseball HOFers Autos I need
                            Orioles Autos I need
                            Baseball HOFers GU I need
                            Orioles GU I need
                            Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
                            However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
                            X