X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivan Rodriguez Set To Retire

AP source: Ivan Rodriguez to retire - Yahoo! Sports

Future Hall of Famer in my opinion.

Ivan Rodriguez plans to announce his retirement Monday, ending a 21-year major league career that included a record 13 Gold Gloves at catcher.

A person familiar with the arrangements said Rodriguez intends to make the announcement in Arlington, Texas, where the Rangers start a homestand Monday against the New York Yankees. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not made an announcement.

A 14-time All-Star known as Pudge, Rodriguez spent his first 12 major league seasons with the Rangers and won the 1999 American League MVP with Texas, when he hit .332 with 35 homers and 113 RBIs. He returned to the Rangers briefly in 2009.

Rodriguez becomes the third longtime catcher to retire since last season ended, joining Jorge Posada and Jason Varitek.

Rodriguez finishes with a .296 batting average, 2,884 hits, 311 home runs and 1,332 RBIs. He broke the record of 10 Gold Gloves at catcher that had been held by Johnny Bench and hit .300 or better 10 times. He was a World Series champion with the Florida Marlins in 2003.

Now 40, Rodriguez spent the last two seasons with the Washington Nationals. He decided not to accept a contract offer from the Kansas City Royals, who were interested after Salvador Perez injured a knee and needed surgery. Rodriguez hit just .218 last year with two homers and 19 RBIs in 124 at-bats.

Great catcher Hopefully he will get into the HOF
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

I wasn't a fan of his.

Comment

Is he associated with the steroid scandal? I thought he was listed on the Mitchell report.
        U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
        Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
        Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

I've never heard him associated with steroids. I wish he would have signed with KC and picked up 116 hits to reach 3000 but I still think he'll make the HOF.

Comment

Gonna miss Pudge!
            Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

If he doesn't make the HOF, something is wrong. For 10 years, he was one of the best at his position. Even in his later years, he was still one of the best defensive catchers even if his bat wasn't quite as potent.

The magic 3000 hits rule doesn't apply to great defensive catchers.
              Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
              Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
              Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                If he doesn't make the HOF, something is wrong. For 10 years, he was one of the best at his position. Even in his later years, he was still one of the best defensive catchers even if his bat wasn't quite as potent.

The magic 3000 hits rule doesn't apply to great defensive catchers.
                I hope that rule doesn't apply to Pudge or Yadier Molina. He's by far the best defensive catcher in baseball.

Comment

Pudge will be missed and he should be a HOFer!
                  I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
                  X