Interesting Baseball Story Probably Not Known By Many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Baseball Story Probably Not Known By Many

So I was looking at Wikipedia to read some information on the Los Angeles Angels. After clicking a few links, I got to Hall of Famer Dave Winfield. Here is an interesting tidbit that not a lot of people may know.

"During the 1994 baseball strike, which began on August 12, Winfield was traded to the Cleveland Indians at the trade waiver deadline on August 31 for a "player to be named later." The 1994 season had been halted two weeks earlier (it was eventually canceled a month later on September 14), so Winfield did not get to play for the Indians that year and no player was ever named in exchange. To settle the trade, Cleveland and Minnesota executives went to dinner, with the Indians picking up the tab. This makes Winfield the only player in major league history to be traded for a dinner, though official sources list the transaction as a sale (sold by the Minnesota Twins to the Cleveland Indians)."

Kerwin, thanks for sharing this interesting baseball info. Without a doubt, some baseball fans will EAT THIS UP.

Have a good day, Rodney

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Very interesting. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why TOPPS uses all MLB cities on their baseball cards with the exception of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They all just say "Angels".

Comment

best deal ever!
        U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
        Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
        Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          Very interesting. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why TOPPS uses all MLB cities on their baseball cards with the exception of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They all just say "Angels".
          could be because they would probably have to make all the Angels cards in the old jumbo card format to fit that whole name on there.
          Collecting Colts and attempting super collector status with Marcus Easley

Thanks to Brads55 for the awesome banner!!!

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r491/coltsfanntx70/

Comment

Comment

Ha! I think it's because the Dodgers complained to MLB about the Angels using "Los Angeles".

Comment

Working...
              X