Saturday Night Five: Favorite Catchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Five: Favorite Catchers

In honor of Ivan Rodriguez's retirement, I decided to list my top five favorite catchers who played during my lifetime.

Now before I get started, this list is not about who I felt was the greatest catcher... it's a list of my favorites. So don't hate... appreciate:

#1 Kurt Suzuki

It's quite simple. He's Japanese, a hard worker & a team leader, and he's on the Oakland A's.

#2 Johnny Bench

Anyone else watch Bench's saturday morning show... The Baseball Bunch?

#3 Thurman Munson

I don't remember ever watching him play... but I've wanted his rookie card for nearly three decades. It might just be the first card ever added to my wantlist.

#4 Carlton Fisk

Watching the original Pudge wave the ball fair in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series still gives me goosebumps. Amazing.

#5 Tony Pena

I couldn't find a card that captured his stance behind the plate. But if you've heard of Pena, you know what I'm talking about.

Honorable Mention: Ivan Rodriguez, Terry Steinbach, & Gary Carter

Okay, what about you?

Who are your five favorite catchers to play during your lifetime?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Its a cool list. Fisk and Bench should be on anyone's favorite's list of catchers. I wouldn't mind see 'Dutch' Daulton in there too.
    my bucket (always being updated): http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/tbbthelegend/

Jacksonville Jaguars Spreadsheet

Collection Jacksonville Jaguars - 3134 Total - 1080 Rookies - 616 Serial #ed - 185 Game Used - 243 Autos

so I'm always on the lookout if you want to work out a trade.

Comment

I dont collect baseball cards anymore. I did for 4 years when I was a kid then changed to basketball. But my favorite catcher back in the 1990s was Mike Piazza.

Comment

I love the Steinbach mention!
        U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
        Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
        Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Yadier Molina, Johnny Bench, Thurmon Munson, Benito Santiago and Darrell Porter would be my favorites.

Comment

Smokey Burgess, Yogi Berra, Gus Triandos, & Andy "Etch....." pop into my mind from the 1950's, 1960's, & 1970's.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
            Baseball HOFers Autos I need
            Orioles Autos I need
            Baseball HOFers GU I need
            Orioles GU I need
            Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
            However other offers will be considered

Comment

I've always been a sucker for the "Good Guys". You know, the ones who sign autographs, do charity work, and appreciate the fans and the job they have the opportunity to play.

1. J.R. Towles (he signed autographs for my son, took pictures, and talked with him - then was sent back to the minors.
              2. Darren Daulton (best Phillies catcher, still signs autographs, and certainly has a flakey side)
              3. Wilson Ramos (how can you not appreciate what this guy went through. He has always been very nice and we sat next to his mom at a spring training practice.
              4. Johnny Bench ( I watched his show as a kid)
              5. Gary Carter (great player, my wife met him at a card show - I was working)
              Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
              Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
              Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

You could also put together a pretty decent list of guys who came up as catchers but were moved real early in their careers like:

Dale Murphy
                Craig Biggio
                Paul Konerko
                Jayson Werth
                Soon to be Bryce Harper
                Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by sportscardrage View Post
                  Its a cool list. Fisk and Bench should be on anyone's favorite's list of catchers. I wouldn't mind see 'Dutch' Daulton in there too.
                  Wow... haven't heard "Dutch" in a long time. He was definitely a fan favorite.
                  Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Greatest hitting catcher I've ever had the pleasure to watch!

Originally posted by key2win View Post
                    I dont collect baseball cards anymore. I did for 4 years when I was a kid then changed to basketball. But my favorite catcher back in the 1990s was Mike Piazza.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Last year (or maybe it was in 2010), I went to one of the games and they had the a special awards ceremony honoring the greatest OAKLAND Athletics... and Steinbach was their catcher. It was cool to see so many old school A's there in attendance.

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
                      I love the Steinbach mention!

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Nice call with Santiago and his gun... and Porter and his glasses.

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
                        Yadier Molina, Johnny Bench, Thurmon Munson, Benito Santiago and Darrell Porter would be my favorites.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Somebody on my blog left Etchebarren's name... and I found his autograph on Ironclad Authentics' site for $5:

Andy Etchebarren Signed 8x10 w/multiple insc : Baltimore Orioles

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
                          Smokey Burgess, Yogi Berra, Gus Triandos, & Andy "Etch....." pop into my mind from the 1950's, 1960's, & 1970's.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Very creative list! Glad to see Daulton's name again in this thread.

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                            I've always been a sucker for the "Good Guys". You know, the ones who sign autographs, do charity work, and appreciate the fans and the job they have the opportunity to play.

1. J.R. Towles (he signed autographs for my son, took pictures, and talked with him - then was sent back to the minors.
                            2. Darren Daulton (best Phillies catcher, still signs autographs, and certainly has a flakey side)
                            3. Wilson Ramos (how can you not appreciate what this guy went through. He has always been very nice and we sat next to his mom at a spring training practice.
                            4. Johnny Bench ( I watched his show as a kid)
                            5. Gary Carter (great player, my wife met him at a card show - I was working)

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Hey... where's Kung Fu Panda?

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                              You could also put together a pretty decent list of guys who came up as catchers but were moved real early in their careers like:

Dale Murphy
                              Craig Biggio
                              Paul Konerko
                              Jayson Werth
                              Soon to be Bryce Harper

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X