Jim Leyland: "Everyone Needs To Be Held Accountable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Leyland: "Everyone Needs To Be Held Accountable"

Video: Jim Leyland sounds off on umpires, media in loss to Red Sox | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

It hasn't been a great Memorial Day for Tigers manager Jim Leyland.

Or for the Tigers, for that matter, who were beaten 7-4 by the Red Sox on Monday afternoon at Fenway Park, with Boston taking the lead by scoring three runs in the second inning following a botched strike-three call.

Granted, the umpires said after the game that they got the call wrong. But Leyland, who was ejected along with third-base coach Gene Lamont for arguing the call, was still fuming following the game.

“There shouldn’t have been a second-inning rally," Leyland said. "I’ve been in the game a long time: When a catcher catches the ball, and it’s strike three, you call the guy out. It’s that simple, isn’t it?

“We’re all accountable in this business. Everybody in the game needs to be held accountable.

“Anybody that saw that, have the nerve to write what you saw and say it. I’m not going to sit here and rip umpires. I just saw it for the 10th time.”
    (The video found in the link is much more entertaining)
    ---
    Some people may know, I'm not a big fan of Leyland, but he is 100% correct. Players and coaches are held accountable and umpires should be as well.

Umpires are almost never held accountable for anything. Do they have to speak to the media? NOPE, but players and coaches have to. Do they get in trouble with Baseball? Almost never.

Just ANOTHER case of instant replay being needed. So many plays the past few years league wide that are so obvious on instant replay, but change games, and could cost teams playoff spots or playoff wins.

Who cares...

the umpires didn't give up hit after hit after hit...

I forgave that umpire that called Jerry Hairston Jr. out at first against the Rockies.
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
      Who cares...

the umpires didn't give up hit after hit after hit...

I forgave that umpire that called Jerry Hairston Jr. out at first against the Rockies.
      Fine, don't care. Umpires will continue to blow calls and not be held accountable.

Sorry that I expect more from an umpire. If Brett Lawrie gets a suspension for his 'mistake' why doesn't the umpires get the same when they make mistakes?

I'm talking about a bigger picture, I'm angry whenever umpires blow calls. You seem to think I only care when it's about my team. Try reading the entire post.

Comment

2 totally blown calls in that game. The next one came when Worth hit a double the next inning and they called the tag after Worth was on bag out

Comment

Working...
        X