Stupid question I should know but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question I should know but...

What is the difference between an "Insert" and a "Parallel"?
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

My take, or what I 'think'...

Parallels are typically like similar to the base cards in that the picture is typically the same. Like an orange refractor would be a parallel.

Inserts are something that would be different. Like a Topps 60 card from the Topps baseball product.

I also have seen people call both by either name. So, it might depend on the trader what they think it is.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Being that I am a math teacher, I would like your definition of a parallel being the same card but with something slightly different.

I guess I like inserts better. I would rather have a different card than just one with a different color border. Whatever makes them more money!
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I agree with Woody, I've always considered a parallel just a slight variation of the base card.

Comment

Sounds like y'all have the answer he was looking for, good job.

Parallel = variation of a card (example - different color border, picture,etc the same)
          Insert = any card different than the base card(s)

The main items Im looking to trade for are
          Baseball HOFers Autos I need
          Orioles Autos I need
          Baseball HOFers GU I need
          Orioles GU I need
          Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
          However other offers will be considered

Comment

Don't forget to throw "hit" into the mix.

Comment

Alright Jerry, I was all set and ready to go to bed and then you throw this one out. Would "hits" refer to autos, game used, inserts, and parallels?

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                Alright Jerry, I was all set and ready to go to bed and then you throw this one out. Would "hits" refer to autos, game used, inserts, and parallels?
                Lol! Back in the early 90"s when I owned 2 hobby shops, everyone called any card that wasn't a base card, an insert. There really weren't any GU's, Certified Autos, but I do remember a redemption, TOPPS Black Golds. Now, any card that is a different version(color,stamp,etc.), but identical to the base card in photo, is considered a parallel(TOPPS Sparkle). Some would even consider the 2011 TOPPS Golds a parallel, but I don't. My reasoning is because those cards are serial#'d. There were 2011 of each Gold card printed, probably hundreds of thousands of each regular base. And I'm not sold when they say they don't have multiple print runs. Card manufacturers printed the heck out of cards in the 80's and 90's.

To me, an insert is any card that is easily pull-able. Such as, TOPPS 60 or A Cut Above, just to name 2. If you're buying or collecting a "master set" then that includes the base set plus all insert sets.

Hits are Autos, GU's, serial #'d cards,etc. These cards are generally where case breakers make their money back.
                I haven't said anything different than what's already been said, but you being a math teacher, I knew you would appreciate my complex and confusing explanation!

Comment

Working...
                X