Authentic Earl Weaver Jersey Bought For $3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Earl Weaver Jersey Bought For $3

Authentic Earl Weaver jersey bought for $3 at Bay Area thrift store | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Hopping among thrift stores looking for sports memorabilia can be a fun diversion. We'll even write about it sometimes on The Stew when we find an odd ballpark giveaway, out-of-place collectible or a replica jersey. That's usually the best one can hope for.

But an authentic jersey, used in real Major League Baseball games by a Hall of Fame manager? How does something like that slip through the cracks of society's secondary market? A collector named Ben Aguirre must fancy himself a real, live Indiana Jones of sports memorabilia after recently finding not one, but two game-worn Baltimore Orioles jerseys — including one that used to belong to legendary manager Earl Weaver — at a Bay Area thrift store.

The cost? Three dollars apiece.

Aguirre, a contributing writer to Beckett Magazine and creator of the Cardboardicons blog, found a 1977 Weaver home white jersey and one for pitcher Mike Torrez from a season earlier. How did he know the Weaver jersey was legit?

A pocket had been sewn into the inside of the jersey to hold a pack of Weaver's cigarettes. A notorious and nervous smoker, Weaver even nicknamed Orioles closer Don Stanhouse "Fullpack" because of how many cigarettes he smoked whenever Stanhouse would pitch.

Noting that a national sports collectable convention was coming up in Baltimore and Weaver — nearing 82 years old — was scheduled to attend, Aguirre booked passage for a cross-country trip to see if he could get his incredible find autographed.

Aguirre set up a meeting and Weaver was ... still Weaver:

"Does it have the pocket for my cigarettes?" Weaver said Saturday at the National Sports Collectors Convention as he handled the jersey, placing his right middle and index fingers over the area where the chain-smoking skipper kept his pack. "Oh … yeah."

"Ow, you're gonna hurt my hand, dammit," he said as I thought I shook his hand gently. "I've got arthritis you know."

As managers go, Weaver was awesome. He's a Hall of Famer because his teams won a lot of games — 1,480 in 17 seasons, not including four AL pennants and a World Series championship. But never mind that.

He was short, he had prematurely white hair and he had a spunky personality. He kicked dirt on umpires who crossed him, like a little Napoleon. And, as you can tell from his encounter with Aguirre, he used some salty language. Somewhat paradoxically, Weaver also grew tomatoes at Memorial Stadium, where the Orioles played.

Very very very nice find. Thanks for posting the story.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Amazing would of loved to have found it!
      I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
      X