Jeter Puts Name With Legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeter Puts Name With Legends

Derek Jeter had two hits on Saturday to increase his season total to 150 and join Hank Aaron as the only players in major-league history to post 150 or more hits in each of 17 consecutive seasons.

Jeter has 3,226 hits (and counting) over the last 17 seasons (1996-2012); that's 85 more than Aaron had during his 17-year streak of 150-hit seasons (3,141, 1955-1971). The only players with more hits over a span of 17 seasons than Jeter or Aaron were, not surprisingly, Pete Rose (whose highest 17-season total was 3,388 from 1965 through 1981) and Ty Cobb (whose highest total over any 17 seasons of his career was 3,307 from 1907 through 1923).

Also with his 2 hits it puts him five base knocks away from No. 13 of the all time hits lit. If Jeter does make it to 200 by season's end, he will find himself moving past Willie Mays in the 11 spot.

Like most players, Jeter talks about consistency. There is really little that suggests consistency more than doing something 17 consecutive seasons.

“It’s about winning first,” he said. “You want to do your job, and consistency is important. You have to stay healthy, and that’s the most important thing. The better you do your job, the more you help the team.”

Jeter also shares another connection to Aaron. He has twice (2006 and 2009) received the Hank Aaron Award, which is presented by Major League Baseball to the best overall offensive performer in both leagues. The award was introduced in 1999 to honor the 25th anniversary of Aaron breaking Babe Ruth’s career home run record.

Jeter is often reluctant to talk about his own accomplishments, but he was not reluctant to discuss Aaron. Their meeting in ’99 was the first of several, and Jeter has always held Aaron in great esteem. Apparently, the feeling was mutual.

“He said he liked the way I played the game and handled myself, which means a lot coming from him,” Jeter said. “I was sort of in awe and didn’t really say much. I just did a lot of listening.”

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

For the night crowd

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Working...
    X