Melky Cabrera Suspended 50 Games for Failed Drug Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
    I wouldnt impose a lifetime ban becuase this is how he earns a living, but I would definitely increase the suspension in light of what just came out..
    Really? Isn't that the way Pete Rose earned a living too?

Comment

Situations are not the same.. Rose was a legend already before he was busted, so he was able to make a living off of his name..
      Cabrera was just peaking in his career, until the All-Star game and this episode he was still relatively unknown..
      U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
      Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
      Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Originally posted by ocanseco55 View Post
        Situations are not the same.. Rose was a legend already before he was busted, so he was able to make a living off of his name..
        Cabrera was just peaking in his career, until the All-Star game and this episode he was still relatively unknown..
        Not the same? You're right. Pete Rose was caught and banned. Melky Cabrera knew he was going to fail, tried to fool MLB, then when that didn't work, admitted to his crime and was suspended for a mere 50 games.

The amount of time spent on the job has nothing to do with this. Should a 25 year old man spend less time in jail for committing a crime than he would if he were 50 years old? If I had to terminate one employee and had to choose between a 25 year old and a 50 year old, and they were equal in every way possible, do I choose to can the old guy because he's already had a career and the young guy is just getting started? I don't think so. And I was faced with that decision quite a few times in the past.

Baseball already has policies in place regarding punishments for each subsequent violation. But, clearly this goes beyond those policies.

Comment

Just my opinion bro, as I am entitled to it.

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          Not the same? You're right. Pete Rose was caught and banned. Melky Cabrera knew he was going to fail, tried to fool MLB, then when that didn't work, admitted to his crime and was suspended for a mere 50 games.

The amount of time spent on the job has nothing to do with this. Should a 25 year old man spend less time in jail for committing a crime than he would if he were 50 years old? If I had to terminate one employee and had to choose between a 25 year old and a 50 year old, and they were equal in every way possible, do I choose to can the old guy because he's already had a career and the young guy is just getting started? I don't think so. And I was faced with that decision quite a few times in the past.

Baseball already has policies in place regarding punishments for each subsequent violation. But, clearly this goes beyond those policies.
          U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
          Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
          Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Yes you are! I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just disagree. I welcome hearing others opinions as well.

Comment

Anyone want to trade for my 2005 Bowman Chrome X-fractor RC of him?

Comment

Comment

it's apparent that the MLB policy isn't working. Why not go the NCAA route? When colleges or college coaches violate NCAA rules they can lose scholarships, become Bowl ineligible, forfeit season wins, or even worse, FORFEIT National Championships.

What if MLB imposed a penalty for juicing that states, "If a player fails a drug test, you lose a draft pick?" Or, "You forfeit a percentage of the games that he played in, up to that point in the season?" "Become post season ineligible?" "God forbid, forfeit a World Series Championship". " Maybe even fine the owner?"

We tell young kids, you have to play by the rules. Cheating is not allowed. But they see "professionals" taking the easy way, succeeding and not really being punished for it.

I'm sure the MLBPA would fight such policies to the bitter end, but something conclusive has to be done. Congress getting involved and wasting taxpayer money isn't the solution either. Either those policies are instituted and ends the drug use or a lifetime ban does.

I know the bar is set so high and the competition is fierce, but cheating to get ahead is not the answer. Working harder is. Players have to be held accountable for their actions.

Comment

Working...
                  X