Prince Fielder's 2 Home Runs Lead the Tigers to a 5-3 Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Fielder's 2 Home Runs Lead the Tigers to a 5-3 Win

The Detroit Tigers beat the Baltimore Orioles tonight 5-3.

Miguel Cabrera got the Tigers an early 1-0 lead with a solo home run in the 1st inning; it's his 31st of the season.

The Orioles would go on to take a 3-1 lead and Justin Verlander was done after 6 innings. Verlander gave up 3 runs on 6 hits, walking 4 and striking out 6 strikeouts. He struggled with his control all night, but the results could've been worse.

The Tigers came back in the bottom of the 6th inning with a single by Miguel Cabrera, then a 2-run home run to tie the game 3-3; it's his 21st of the season. The home run by Fielder went 462 feet and can be seen here.

Octavio Dotel came in and pitched a scoreless 7th inning, then Joaquin Benoit came in and pitched a scoreless 8th inning; Benoit would get the win tonight.

After Miguel Cabrera drew a walk in the 8th inning, Prince Fielder hit another 2-run home run to give the Tigers a 5-3 lead; it's his 2nd of the night and 22nd of the season.

Jose Valverde came in and pitched a scoreless 9th inning to earn his 23rd save of the season and get the Tigers a win.

The Tigers continue their series with the Orioles tommorrow as Rick Porcello (9-7 4.68 ERA) pitches against Steve Johnson (1-0 2.70 ERA).

Picture credit: zimbio.com
    Follow us on Twitter: @FearTheShadow

More...

If it wasn't for Fielder (he really was hitting last night), and the umpires, Verlander would have been the losing pitcher.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
      If it wasn't for Fielder (he really was hitting last night), and the umpires, Verlander would have been the losing pitcher.
      How did the umpires have an effect on the final score?

Comment

You evidently didn't watch the game -(1) bad call on Markakis out at the plate, but definitely safe on the replay and (2)another bad call of a Tiger being called out at first, but instead of sticking with it it was reversed (they didn't even look at a replay), causing Reynolds to get upset and throw his glove down, and the 2nd base umpire (who wasn't involved on the call or reversal) tossed him out of the game, and a few minutes later he tossed Showalter who was arguing on behalf of Reynolds - two "Birds' gone because of a bad call, that was reversed, and the ejections by an umpire who wasn't originally in on the bad call or reversal. How could they reverse a call at 1st without review, but do nothing at the plate ? The "Birds" ended up now only playing the Tigers, but also the umps. I guess the umps were giving an advantage to the home team (I've seen much of this done for the Yankees).

Orioles Autos I need
        Orioles GU I need

Comment

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
          You evidently didn't watch the game -(1) bad call on Markakis out at the plate, but definitely safe on the replay and (2)another bad call of a Tiger being called out at first, but instead of sticking with it it was reversed (they didn't even look at a replay), causing Reynolds to get upset and throw his glove down, and the 2nd base umpire (who wasn't involved on the call or reversal) tossed him out of the game, and a few minutes later he tossed Showalter who was arguing on behalf of Reynolds - two "Birds' gone because of a bad call, that was reversed, and the ejections by an umpire who wasn't originally in on the bad call or reversal. How could they reverse a call at 1st without review, but do nothing at the plate ? The "Birds" ended up now only playing the Tigers, but also the umps. I guess the umps were giving an advantage to the home team (I've seen much of this done for the Yankees).
          I did watch the game. The replays FSD showed, Markakis looked out (was tagged on his calf before he touched the plate) http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...68897&c_id=mlb

The other play was a bad call, but it never had an effect on the score/game (other than it allowed Mark Reynolds to not strike out for a 4th time).
          Last edited by gladdyontherise; 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

It's evident we're not going to agree, since you follow the Tigers and me the "Birds". But to keep it short, bad calls do affect games (and they did in this one).

Have a good afternoon.

Orioles Autos I need
            Orioles GU I need

Comment

Markakis was clearly out. Not sure the confusion there and the other call had no bearing on the game

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Working...
              X