Minor League Player Plays All 9 Positions In A Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor League Player Plays All 9 Positions In A Game

Justin Toole plays all nine positions in minor-league game | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Cleveland Indians minor leaguer Justin Toole just became one of those rarest of commodities in baseball by demonstrating he's a nine-tool player. Well, nine positions, anyway, after the appropriately named Toole played every spot on defense for the High-A Carolina Mudcats on Saturday. He's a regular Bert Campaneris!

It was a stunt, it was a gimmick, but it was also fun — and it didn't cost the Mudcats, who improved to 61-71 after beating Salem 4-2. A 25-year-old utility man (no kidding!) in his fourth season, Toole went 1 for 4 at the plate and pitched the ninth inning, striking out two but also allowing back-to-back home runs.

Great success! Via Twitter, Toole provided a neat photo collage of his accomplishment. He also told MiLB.com that skipper Edwin Rodriguez, the Miami Marlins manager before Ozzie Guillen took over, had this in mind all season:

"My manager ... came up to me at the beginning of the year and asked me where I could play. I told him, 'Anywhere,' and he came up to me later and said I'd play all nine positions later this year," Toole said. "I kind of laughed [at the time], but as the season was winding down, he picked tonight and we ran with it."

Toole began the game in right field, moving across the outfield over the first three innings. He made his way to the infield in the fourth, starting at first base and reaching third by the seventh. He caught the eighth and finished the night on the mound.

This has happened before in the minors — in fact, teammates Kevin Higgins and Keith Lockhart of the Padres organization both did it in the same game for Triple-A Las Vegas in 1994 — but it's also a great reminder of how rarely it's been done in the majors.

Only four players have ever played all nine positions in a major-league game, and none since Shane Halter of the Tigers in October 2000. Scott Sheldon of the Rangers also did it earlier that season. Before that, Cesar Tovar of the Twins in 1968 and Bert Campaneris of the A's (Kansas City at the time) did it in '65.

Pretty cool!

Comment

Pretty impressive

Comment

Working...
      X