Tigers Lose 9-8 in a Controversial Finish to the 9th Inning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers Lose 9-8 in a Controversial Finish to the 9th Inning

The Detroit Tigers lost to the Kansas City Royals tonight 9-8.

Austin Jackson led the game off with a single, and scored on a double from Andy Dirks. Delmon Young came up and hit a 2-run home run and the Tigers took an early 3-0 lead; it's his 15th of the season.

Justin Verlander, however, with a combination of a few bad pitches, a few bad defensive plays, and no luck whatsoever couldn't hold the lead, and gave up 7 runs on 10 hits in the first 2 innings.

The Tigers offense responded in the 3rd inning though with singles by Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera, then Prince Fielder came up and hit a 2-run double. A Delmon Young ground out advanced Fielder to 3rd base, then Alex Avila hit a single to score Fielder and it was a 7-6 game.

Justin Verlander allowed a run to score in the 6th inning and that finished his night. He pitched 5 and 2/3 innings giving up 8 runs on 12 hits, walking 3 (1 intentional) and striking out 6 batters.

Darin Downs came in for relief and got the last out of the 6th inning.

Detroit came back in the 7th inning after a single by Austin Jackson who advanced to 2nd base on a stolen base, then advanced to 3rd base after a wild pitch, and would score on a single from Miguel Cabrera to cut the lead to 8-7.

Brayan Villarreal came in and pitched a scoreless 7th inning.

Jhonny Peralta tied the game 8-8 in the 8th inning with a solo home run; it's his 10th of the season.

Villarreal came back out for the 8th inning and got the first 2 outs of the inning, then Phil Coke came in and on cue gave up a run that was charged to Villarreal. Hey Jim Leyland, just because Phil Coke is left handed doesn't mean he needs to face left-handed hitting, considering he's not very good.

The Tigers didn't quit, though. Austin Jackson led off the 9th inning with a walk, advanced to 2nd base on a ground out by Andy Dirks, then advanced to 3rd base on a wild pitch, but with 1 out, Miguel Cabrera struck out. Prince Fielder was intentionally walked to set up runners on 1st and 3rd and 2 outs for Delmon Young who hit a ball on the 1st pitch that after replay, was ruled a foul ball, by inches. Young went on to hit a fly ball to end the game.

The Tigers continue their series with the Royals tommorrow as Anibal Sanchez (7-10 4.38 ERA) pitches against Bruce Chen (9-10 5.41 ERA).

Follow us on Twitter: @FearTheShadow

More...

And with the help of the "BIRDS" they still only remain 2 games behind the division leading White Sox, as they defeated them 6-0.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
    X