Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown Call to End Yankees/Orioles Game, Instant Replay Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown Call to End Yankees/Orioles Game, Instant Replay Anyone?

Just another case of why instant replay is needed.

Yankees had runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs, and Jerry Meals called Mark Texieira out at 1st base to end the game when he was safe.

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/stat...21406975963136

(link has a picture)

Regardless of your opinion on either team, this is terrible for the game. Important games shouldn't be ended on a blown call.

replay was needed on this call
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Wow, that is turrible. I agree, regardless of what team you like, that was a blown call.
      "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

I would have to go with instant replay because I think it would cost too much to get every umpire lasik.

Comment

What was worse was what hasn't been mentioned - C C breaking Markakis thumb. Because of that he will not be available for six weeks. Hopefully he'll be ready for the World Series against the Nationals (I sure hope it will be "Birds" vs Nats). Also, that call wasn't anywhere near as bad as that one in N Y in the 1990's when Jeter was credited a HR in a playoff game against the "Birds" when that 12 year old fan leaned over the fence and caught the ball denying the O's outfielder a chance, and the umpire declared it a HR.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
          Baseball HOFers Autos I need
          Orioles Autos I need
          Baseball HOFers GU I need
          Orioles GU I need
          Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
          However other offers will be considered

Comment

The past is the past. One bad call doesn't make another ok, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
              What was worse was what hasn't been mentioned - C C breaking Markakis thumb. Because of that he will not be available for six weeks. Hopefully he'll be ready for the World Series against the Nationals (I sure hope it will be "Birds" vs Nats). Also, that call wasn't anywhere near as bad as that one in N Y in the 1990's when Jeter was credited a HR in a playoff game against the "Birds" when that 12 year old fan leaned over the fence and caught the ball denying the O's outfielder a chance, and the umpire declared it a HR.
              Two wrongs don't make a right? And as for the game you were mentioning, that home run only tied the game, meaning the Orioles still had a shot to win the game, which they ended up losing in extra innings. This call effectively ended the game, with no chance to make a comeback with people on base. Lastly, it's not like Sabathia broke his thumb on purpose. Injuries like that happen frequently, and since the Orioles have balanced hitting, they shouldn't be ailing too badly.
              "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Yeah, I think I read somewhere here that the Orioles and Nats have great balanced hitting and one guy doing badly won't affect the team....

Sabathia didn't "drill" Markakis. Looked like an inside pitch went a little too far inside. I remember the good ole days when pitchers weren't afraid to pitch inside or bean the hitter. Bob Gibson comes to mind.

Definitely a blown call. Ever notice that umpires won't watch replays on the jumbotron? That's because they have super huge egos and could never be wrong!

LASIK might correct their vision but it wouldn't get them a clue! The strike zone is uniform, yet every umpire interprets it differently.

With all the technology available, I wouldn't be surprised if baseball switched to a "virtual" umpire in the future. Fox Trax and ESPN's K-Zone have proven to be more reliable than any home plate umpire.

And yes, I know the blown call was at first base and had nothing to do with balls/strikes. It doesn't change the fact that all umpires are morons!
                Last edited by jwgreen68; 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

As long as the Yankees don't do like the Pirates did last year and collapse after that blown call against Atlanta. They seem to have gotten off on the right foot today though.

Comment

Working...
                  X